Skip to main content

The New Year

How I welcomed the year 2013, with a
root beer float.

I'm still playing catch up with all these blog posts.  Now that we are 10 days into 2013, it's about time to discuss resolutions.  However, first, a look back at the year of 2012.  2012 was an interesting year.  It came on the coat tails of 2011, the year that tested my strength.  In 2011, it felt like the earth under my feet had  rocked so hard for the purpose to bring me to my knees in humility.  Last year at this time, I was filled with a lot of fear of what 2012 had in store.  I didn't think I could take anymore.  2012 turned out to be a much calmer year, which I am grateful for.  Although it had it's ups and downs, this past year gave me a moment to catch my breath and heal a bit.  While 2011 was the year to be humbled, 2012 has been the year of patience.  Patience with myself, my job, other people, God's timing.  Lots of patience.  Times like these have helped me focus more on the present, because there is only so much one can do concerning the future.  

Now looking forward, I sense 2013 is going to be even more of patience and endurance testing, but we shall see.  2013 will be the year I turn 30 (weird) and Danny will graduate from college (or uni if you are from England).  I feel change is in store.  I also think more adventures and fun will happen, because that's how we roll.  I am feeling a bit more optimism than I did with 2012.  However, I take after my mother and I like even numbers more than odd, so 2012 looks more pleasing to me than 2013.  Oh well. Here are some notable occurrences from the 2012:


Another Babykins of the nephew sort was born to spoil.
Couple vacation to New Port Beach with Dan and Michele!
Tulip Festival with my Mom!  It's a yearly favorite event for us to attend.
My years of dreaming of having a hammock and a backyard to put it in has 
come to pass.
Trip to Cali with the cousins for Brittany's wedding: here, here, here, here and here.
Camping and hiking at Bryce Canyon with Melina, Talena and some of their 
family members.
The Olympics!  It brought me so much TV joy for 2 weeks.
Changing up of my job - I'm now in the photography division.  My main job is to set up photo shoots.  I still assist on LDS small productions on the side, but not nearly as often.
2nd Anniversary at Zion and St. George. 
New calling in the Stake YW Presidency (I was really sad when we were released as primary teachers, but that came with the dissolving of our whole ward, so I think everyone was sad about being released from their callings.)
Trip to the South to see Danny's family.
And another Babykins nephew who was born New Year's Eve!  He shall be spoiled by me as well. 

Now for resolutions.  Here are my resolutions for 2012 and the moment of truth to see how I did.

Resolution #1:  I would like to read at least a dozen books this year, so a book a month. So here is my list of books I read this year.  I ended up reading 10.  

Ten Girls to Watch by Charity Shumway
Outliers by Malcom Gladwell
Heaven is Here by Stephanie Nielson
The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
Catching Fire by Susan Collins
Mockingjay by Susan Collins
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

I read another handful of books, but only halfway through, so those don't count.  I was pretty close to completing this goal.  My pin number got messed up with my library card so I couldn't reserve books online. I'm going to put a little blame on that issue.

Resolution #2:  Use our outdoor equipment more, meaning more hiking, snowshoeing and camping.
Many hikes occurred this past year, which just makes me so happy.  You can see blog posts about that  here, herehere and here.  We used our tent for the first time this year when we went camping at Bryce Canyon.  We haven't been snowshoeing yet.  Last year was a really mild winter, so not great conditions for snowshoeing.  However, this year we seem to be getting pounded with snow, so snowshoeing is going to happen soon.


Resolution #3:  Go somewhere I've never been before. 
Did this!  Our trip to the South fulfilled this goal.  I drove through Alabama and Mississippi, two states I had never been to before.  As well, we stayed in Florida for 3 days, another state I've never been too.  I got to dip my feet in the Gulf of Mexico, which was a new experience.  It was all very cool. I also visited California twice this year, except I've been there before.  I guess it was my first time visit Stinson Beach and Santa Cruz, so that counts too. Yay for traveling!

Resolution #4:   Make my personal scripture study into a real study session. 
I have come to a new realization with this goal.  I have changed my thoughts on what is a successful scripture study. In the past, it would include a silent spot in my home with a notebook to take notes and colorful pencils to mark a favorite verse or two. At the beginning of this year I downloaded the scriptures on my phone and have found my personal scripture study has become something much more mobile.  I've received impressions and encouragement through the written word while sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office or on a bench waiting for my dad for lunch.  Being more flexible this way has worked a lot better with my life.  I still need to work on being more consistent, though.

Resolution #5:  I would like do yoga weekly. 
I did so-so on this goal.  I did pretty well at the beginning of the year while it was cold outside, but when the weather warmed up, I just wanted to be outside.  Now that it is cold again, I'm out of habit.

Resolution #6:  Learn a new skill.
The main new skill I tried out this year was gardening. I discovered we had a plum tree, I planted strawberries, tulips and daffodils.  I learned gardening takes a lot of time, mainly the whole weeding aspect, which I slacked on as the summer waned on.  I did learn that when the flower that you planted blooms or the first strawberry on the plant turns pink, it's pretty exciting.  Also in this category, I tried out some new recipes, completed some crafts, and expanded what I do at my job.

Resolution #7:  Only eat desserts/treats on holidays and vacation.
I did this for about half of the year.  I was off sugary snacks for January, February, March, August, September and half of October.  While I didn't make the full year, I was quite pleased with how much I did do.  

Ok, so if this post hasn't been long enough and if you are actually still reading, well done.  This really is for me, so that I'll have some accountability throughout the year.  Now for the resolutions for 2013, drum roll please...


Resolution #1:  More meaningful prayer.

I tend to fall asleep a lot when I'm trying to commune.  I'm working on that.

Resolution #2: Complete at least one goal for each value in YW Personal Progress.

YW Leaders are encouraged to take part in personal progress along with the girls.  I'm hoping this will help with my calling, because I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. :)

Resolution #3:  Give more time to writing

I like the write, if you couldn't tell by this forever long post.  I do write on the blog, but more personal writings I haven't given as much time to.  It's one of my greatest stress reliefs.  

Resolution #4:  Continue to strive to only have sweets on holidays and vacation.  

I want to do better than I did last year.  I really can tell the difference in my physical being when I lay off the sugar.

Resolution #5:  Go somewhere I've never been.

If I dream it, it will happen, right?

Resolution #6: Visit the temple once a month with the husband.

Because the temple is a good place to be.

Comments

  1. Congrats on achieving most of your goals from 2012! I'm so happy we could help you with some of your to-do's while in Florida! You've inspired me to write my goals out and get busy accomplishing them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, thanks for helping me accomplish my travel goal by letting us come to your house. I sure appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. I love how you review your goals and hold yourself accountable. I think you've done a great job on 2012 goals and you've set some good ones for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say how much I think you will benefit from goal #2. I am so glad I was able to earn the YW Award when I was a YW leader. It really did help me progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personal progress really is such a great study plan. I'm looking forward to digging into it more.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou