Skip to main content

Autumn is in the Air... and a Book Review

There is something different this year, the year of 2012, than any other year of my entire life.  Every year, with the closing and farewell of August I have felt sorrow.  I've always loved the long summer days and warm evenings.  The road trips and multitudes of hikes.  The picnics and fireworks and all things summer.  However, the past couple of weeks while I've been prepping myself to not get depressed with the end of summer something bizarre has occurred...I've kind of been looking forward to it.  What?  Does this mean I'm getting old?  It could have to do with the fact that our swamp cooler cuts out when temperatures rise above 95 degrees.  Since we've had triple digits at least a dozen times this year, our house has been mighty toasty some evenings.  Or perhaps while I've been on some adventures this summer, I have a few more up my sleeve before a blanket of snow smothers us for months at a time here in Utah.  Upcoming adventures always do get me excited.  Or maybe it is because my fall decorations are way cuter than my summer decorations, which are lacking.  I was practically skipping through the house adding pumpkins and fake fall leaves in abundance to table tops and shelves.  Here a couple pictures to show the transformation of fall indoors.

The shelves in the kitchen. I think the stuffed scarecrow
 is my favorite.

The entryway and fireplace.
So, I guess, welcome Autumn.  It is pleasant to see you again...

Also, I recently read the book Outliers:  The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell.  For someone like myself who loves random studies, this book is a dream.  It has multiple studies and stories concerning success, which I found extremely intriguing.  Gladwell debates that the common success story of someone rising from rags to riches because of their amazing talent really just isn't true. There are more factors than that.  This book is a bit of a double-edged sword.  There are some aspects that are encouraging for those (which I would think is almost all of us) who would like to be successful.  For example, Gladwell discusses a study that claims it takes 10,000 hours of work and practice to become and expert at something.  Therefore, anyone can be successful if they put 10,000 hours of hard work into something.  Also, he points out IQ or even amazing talent isn't necessarily everything.  The ability to communicate, persuade and get along with people actually has a lot more to do with your chances of becoming super successful. 

However, the discouraging side is, well, money matters.  Those in the higher lifestyle brackets, they tend to get more opportunities at a younger age.  Since they don't have to worry about survival, unlike their lower income classmates, they have more time and means to put towards a talent and ability.  Also, Gladwell discusses a lot about culture and your heritage.  His claim is what your great, great grandparents did can and will effect your chances at success.  Opportunities and abilities are dictated by the past, depending on your ancestors decisions.  He also mentions that really, there is such thing as just getting lucky, when other deserving individuals just aren't.

I wouldn't say this book was mind blowing or anything.  I don't feel like it was shared any big secrets I've been missing all my life.  It was also a little repetitive at times; however, I still found it really interesting.  It was a fun read and does give you something to think about.

Jan's Rating:




I should also mentioned I started reading Enchantment:  The Life of Audrey Hepburn by Donald Spoto.  The beginning was interesting and sad.  Audrey lived during the WWII in Holland when the Nazis had occupied her homeland.  As a teenager, she was part of the underground Dutch resistance.  She would carry messages to different members of the resistance, which was extremely dangerous and perform as a ballerina to raise money for the resistance.  She also shares how she almost starved to death during the war.  The story of her youth and how she got into show business was fascinating.  However, the author put Hepburn up on a pedestal too much.  If a movie she was in failed, it was always the director's or costar's fault.  If she had an affair, it was her husband's fault.  I like Audrey and all, but she is no where near perfect.  It felt a disservice to her, because without meaning to the author constantly put Hepburn as the victim.  Plus, there was way too much detail I didn't care to know.  I don't care what type of make up had to be used when filming Roman Holiday.  It became too much for me, so I stopped reading halfway through.

Comments

  1. Your fall decorations look great! I'm excited to get mine out and up after Labor Day. I like the stuffed scarecrow too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fall is the BEST season! i love it! Cute decor, I need to decorate too. Hopefully this week! Fun seeing you today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jannifer, it is 103 degrees here today so I can't wait to join you Utahns in your fall weather, even if it seems a bit premature to me. That is a cute scarecrow.
    So you stopped reading about Audrey Hepburn? Now how will we know what makeup she wore in the movie "Wait Until Dark?" Good observation, that sometimes less detail is better. Now if only I could always remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky - Thanks!

    Michele - It was fun seeing you too! You will have to take pics of your fall decorations, because I know you will have really cute ones.

    Mama Wood - Saturday, when I put up the decorations, was rainy, cool and felt like Autumn. You can see leaves changing on the mountain and I even wore a long sleeved shirt on Sunday. However, it is back to being hot again. Oh well. We aren't at 103, though. As for the Audrey Hepburn book, sorry you will have to investigate her "Wait Until Dark" make up use through other sources, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We put up our decorations this weekend! Thanks for inspiring me to get mine done! :) I'll post picks on my blog soon. Juliette was so excited to put out the pumpkins, fall leaves and scarecrows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky - Fun! You will have to put pictures of your decorations on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man