Skip to main content

Weekend Life is the Life

Weekends need to be longer.  This past weekend was splendid, if I do say so myself.  Here are a few things I did...

After sleeping in on Saturday I woke up in the mood for something warm and delicious (other than Danny, hehe) so I decided to make blueberry muffins, one of Danny's favorite.  I tried to make it a surprise, but since I rarely make breakfast, Danny was curious and caught me.  I may have posted this before, but here is the recipe I used.

In the afternoon, we were invited to my nephew General J's birthday party.  This was a birthday of success!  You see, I'm not much of a gift giver.  It isn't one of my talents.  I don't usually give gifts unless there is some type of get-together involved.  I don't mean that in a rude way, I just don't usually think about it.  Anyway, General J told us a few weeks ago that all he wanted was a popgun.  You know, the old school toy gun with the cork in it so it pops.  General J was so sure we would get this for him and I really didn't want to let him down.  However, popguns don't really seem to be sold at any regular store.  Luckily, over our vacation as we were walking around Knott's Berry Farm, in one of the toy stores, we found a popgun!  We were so excited and General J was thrilled.  

General J blowing out his candles.
I also got a little bonding time with Baby D at the party.
Speaking of babies we found out on Saturday that Danny's brother Ben and his wife Heather had their baby little boy!  How very exciting!

In the afternoon I worked a little on my small flower patch.  I've decided this year to try out gardening now that I have a little green space of my own.  Well, we rent, but kind of my own.  I feel like you have arrived to maturity when you can tell the difference between a weed and the plant you actually want to stay.  I actually found weeding rather therapeutic and was pleased with how the flower bed looked when I was done.  Special thanks to my brother Mark who let me take some rocks from his yard to line my little garden with.  I'm pretty sure his neighbors thought I was crazy when they saw me (some random lady) filling an empty birthday gift bag with rocks from his backyard.

The daffodils are blooming!
Saturday evening Danny and I had a date night.  We went to Rumbi Grill for dinner and then we saw the much talked about Hunger Games movie.  It was intense, to say the least.  I thought it stuck pretty well to the book, but some things were different.  I'd say the movie makes a lot more sense if you have read the book.  It was kind of hard to watch, since it is violence among kids.  I got teary a few times in the sadder scenes.  I have more to say about the story line on my next post when I talk about reading the books, but the movie was well done.  Everyone said the shaky camera technique bothered them, but I was fine.  I think all those roller coasters from Knott's Berry Farms prepared me.

On Sunday morning we headed to church and taught our crazy class in Primary.  Those kiddos wear me out, but it is pretty cute when they want to walk with me to class and tell me whatever stories cross their minds.  After a Sunday nap, I made cookies for our friends who taught our Primary class last week.  I was in the mood for snickerdoodles.  It took me longer to find a recipe online without the ingredient of cream of tartar (which I didn't have in my cupboards) than to actually bake the cookies.


In the evening, with the weather so mild Danny and I took a little walk at the park nearby.  I just love that spring is in the air.  I can't help but be in a good mood with warmer weather.

Comments

  1. I had to find a no cream of tartar recipe for snickerdoodles when we were in Poland because they don't have that there (or if they do, I don't know the Polish word for it). They tasted exactly the same as any other snickerdoodle. Good job on finding the pop gun! That is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake LOVES the pop gun. It is a new favorite toy at our home. Thanks so much for coming. We loved having you here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those muffins look so yummy. I have a snickerdoodle oatmeal cookie. It doesn't use cream of tartar either. Nice to see your daffodils. Mine are long gone, but the irises are in bloom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man