Skip to main content

Plums and Pioneers

I came across the greatest find yesterday. (Remember simple things bring me pleasure.) You see, we have this cute tree in the corner of our backyard, which has been lovely in every season.  It blossomed in the Spring and I assumed it was a crab apple tree, because it looked similar to one that my neighbors had growing up.  As kids, my friends and I used to dare each other to eat the crab apples on the way home from school and laugh at each other's puckering sour faces.  However, I noticed the fruit growing bigger than a crab apple, so I investigated last night and found that we have a plum tree!  Oh the joys!  I'm a plum farmer and I didn't even know it!  I tasted them and they are delicious, sweet and tart.  Now I need some good plum recipes.  If you have any, send them my way.

plum good
Yesterday was the grand holiday of Pioneer Day here in Utah.  I even got work off!  I missed the parade and most things pioneer-ish; however, Red Butte Gardens was open for free.  Danny and I went up there and walked around the gardens.  It's so beautiful up there.
This is not what the Salt Lake Valley looked like
when the pioneers got here.

This is where Danny and I met, at a concert at Red Butte Gardens.

Yellow roses are some of my favorites. 
The wildlife of  Red Butte Gardens.

So pretty
What my feet would look like in a jungle...on stepping stones.  How exotic.



Speaking of pioneers, I also recently read a autobiography called Recollections of Past Days The Autobiography of Patience Loader Rozsa Archer, edited by Sandra Ailey Petree.  This book was recommended to me by my sister-in-law, JanaRae.  I found it fascinating.  Patience had an amazing life.  She was born in England and joined the LDS Church there with her family.  They crossed the Atlantic by boat and joined the Martin Handcart Company.  Her recollection of traveling the plains is fascinating.  For those who don't know, the Martin Handcart Company were a group of pioneers that left from Iowa late in the season.  They hit blizzards in Wyoming and many people died from exposure and starvation.  Brigham Young sent rescue parties to save the survivors.  Patience lost family members, including her father during this trek.  After making it to Salt Lake City, she married and then traveled back across the plains with her husband to Washington DC, because her husband was a solider and his regiment was called to fight in the Civil War.  Patience has some amazing life stories from both her pioneer experience and her Civil War experience.  She was one tough lady!  I really admired her faith.  She witnessed miracles that both preserved her life and the life of her family.  And even among her trials, she still recognized the grace of God helping her through it all.  I also liked how real she is; she just told it how it was.  I learned some interesting things about life at that time in Salt Lake.  

Anyway, I would highly recommend this book.  One thing I should mention is that the whole book is Patience's exact words that she wrote down in notebooks.  She wasn't highly educated, so there are many spelling and grammatical errors.  It takes a little bit to get used to, but I feel like it helps you get to know her better.  However, I know that would drive some people crazy trying to read with so many mistakes.  I feel a little weird rating a autobiography, because how can you rate someone's life experience?  She wasn't writing it to be published as a book or anything, so I'll give it 5 stars, since I really liked it.

Jan's Rating:  

Comments

  1. I've read parts of Patience Loader's diary in other books. I just love her! I'll have to borrow that book from you sometime.
    I love that shot of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Wood - Patience Loader does have such an interesting life. I actually borrowed the book from my brother's wife, but I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man