Skip to main content

Book Review: Heaven is Here

I recently read Heaven is Here by Stephanie Nielson the creator of nieniedialogues.com.  This book is a memoir of Stephanie's life, who is a famous Mormon blogger.  She and her husband were in a plane wreck in 2008.  80% of her body was burned and she was in a coma for about 4 months.  This book is about her miraculous survival and recovery after this horrible accident.  Just so you know,this book is a tearjerker!  The book is split up in three parts, part 1 is about her life before the crash: growing up in Provo, how she met her husband, having her 4 children and starting her blog.  Part 2 is about waking up from her coma, remembering the crash and being in the burn unit in Arizona and Utah. Part 3 is about leaving the hospital, moving home and trying to rebuild her life.

This might sound weird, but part 1 was the hardest part of the book for me to read.  Her life was almost too picture-perfect, that I felt envious of her.  I'm sure she had trials, but she left most of that out, I'm guessing to show all that she loss with the plane wreck.  But for me, it made it hard to relate to her life before the wreck. I felt humbled as I read part 2 and 3 though.  She was very candid about the pain and agony she has gone through.  I also appreciated how candid she was about her testimony of the gospel, her life after death experiences and how her spirituality has carried her through such a difficult trial.  It's amazing to realize how far she has come.  When she woke up she was covered in bandages from head to toe, couldn't speak and even moving her fingers an inch was excruciating.  Now, even though she still faces pain in her life, she can walk, talk and has had another baby.  I found this book really inspirational and I would highly recommend it. My favorite quote from the book is from Elder Holland, an apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who told this to Stephanie when he visited her.  He said:

"We look for Christ's scars because they are evidence of what He did for us.  They'll be the first things He shows us when we see Him again.  Your scars tell a story, too. Although they may not make you feel attractive, they are a witness of a miracle, that God blessed you to live, and that you have accomplished very difficult things."

Once again, I have a hard time rating memoirs, because I feel like I'm rating someone's life experience.  I mean really, who am I to judge?  It feels different than rating a story someone came up with.  Anyway, I'm giving it 5 stars, because I really did like it.

Jan's Rating:  

Comments

  1. I want to read this book! The quote you shared touched me. I doubt it can be checked out from a library here, where did you get your copy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, my friend let me borrow her copy. I'm sure you can buy it online from Amazon or Deseret Book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a feature about her on mormon.org. Very inspiring. Becky, if you buy it I'll borrow it from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, my coworkers created that Mormon Message about her, if that is the one you saw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I'm crying reading just one quote I would probably be a mess if I read it. I do want to though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie - Crying is completely acceptable, if not expected with this book. That quote made me cry as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man