Skip to main content

Cooking and Olympic-ing (not in that order)

First and foremost, tonight is the end of all my television joy, the Olympics are coming to a close.  Sad day.  Now what will I watch?  I would say there are going to be tears, except I'm all cried out.  I know I've already discussed this, but I'm a teary mess when watching the Olympics.  I cry when people win, I cry when they lose.  Apparently, people fulfilling their dreams is a tender spot for me.  Good thing I own a great brand of waterproof mascara.  I'm also going to miss hearing Danny watching the Olympics.  He's rather audible, which can be heard through out our little home.  I find it rather adorable, a manly type of adorable of course.  And lastly, I'm going to miss a tie to England on my screen each evening.  I know it is no secret of my love for England.  It's been fun seeing areas of the country each night that I have fond memories of.  Hopefully it won't be too long before I get to visit again.  Also, while we are still talking about the Olympics, aren't Gabby Douglas and Missy Franklin the cutest Olympic darlings?  They are my personal favorites, mainly because they both seem so humble and sincere.

Second, remember all those plums.  I scoured the internet for recipes.  I ended up making this...

Plum pudding!  Ok, it actually isn't plum pudding.  It is vanilla pudding with a plum glaze.  It was good and really rich.  The actual recipe I found was for tapioca pudding with a plum glaze, but neither Danny nor I like tapioca pudding.  (My dislike of tapioca pudding goes back to my young 6-year-old self when I was babysat by some family friends while my youngest sister Noelle was making her arrival into this world.  They gave us tapioca pudding and one of their kids told us it was like eating frog eyes, because of the texture.  I never have been able to get rid of that frog eye image from my mind whenever tapioca is served.  Funny what sticks with you from your childhood.)  Anyway, here's the recipe for the glaze, except I nixed the alcohol, since I don't drink alcohol; therefore, I don't own alcohol.  Also I'm in a rambling mood and with England on the mind I feel the need to share that if someone in England offers you pudding, that just means dessert, not necessarily actual pudding.  Glad we could clear this up.  Also, my mother-in-law was recently in town and took a bushel of our plums (I actually have no idea how much a bushel is) and made plum-nectarine jam for all of us to enjoy.  How sweet.

Comments

  1. Glad to see you are making good use of your plums! I imagine you could make lots of that plum sauce and freeze it for later.
    Thank goodness you didn't give me a bushel of plums! I'd still be working on that jam. It was more like a peck which is 1/4 of a bushel or 8 quarts or 2 gallons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought about 8 lbs of plums to make jam. I usually get some plums from a friend in the ward but the timing didn't work out this year. But I love plum jam and we are all out so I bought some. Plum nectarine sounds good too! I made a plum tart once and it was really yummy. The sauce looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama Wood - Haha, I was joking about the bushel part, but good to know. Erin - Good luck with the jam making! I'm sure it will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we have twin tastebuds. There are few things that are less appetizing to me than tapioca pudding.

    I'm impressed by your pudding! (I hope you get my double senses of the word... haha... nerrrrd. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, we do have twin taste buds! It is so great to finally have someone in the family that understands me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou