Skip to main content

Book Club - A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and The Old Man And The Sea

As I mentioned in my last post, Melina, Talena and I had book club on Groundhog Day.  As always, we used video chat to unite us.  How I love video chat.  The book we read was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.  The book follows Francie Nolan and her family, who live in the slums of Brooklyn during the early 1900's.  It shares the trials and triumphs they share as a family during difficult times. It is kind of hard to say what the full story is about since each chapter shares little tidbits and stories about Francie's life, some funny, some sad, some intriguing.  I'd say it is a book about growing up.

Overall we all liked the book. You can't help but like Francie, as you see the world through her eyes.  She's curious and smart.  She loves her family and isn't afraid to work towards her dreams.  However, my favorite character of the book was her mother, Katie Nolan.  She's one tough woman, pulling her family through heartache, poverty and life in general.  Talk about a character with perseverance.  I loved Smith's style of writing.  She skillfully weaves a background story for almost every character you meet, from the shopkeepers to the neighbors.  You quickly have a better understanding where each person is coming from.   In the foreword in the book, I learned that A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was actually a memoir of Betty Smith (real name Elizabeth Wehner), but she later changed it to read like a novel.  I also was drawn in about life just a century ago and what it was like to live in those times.  I didn't realize how much traditions have changed since then.  I should give a warning though, there was a bit of language and innuendos through the whole book.  Most of it is through a child's perspective, but it does give a feel for what it was like in the part of town she grew up in, which wasn't pleasant.

Jan's Rating:





I also read The Old Man and the Sea recently.  I figured since I've shared a name with Ernest Hemingway my entire life and I make jokes about him being "Uncle Ernie", I probably should read one of his books.  Plus, Hemingway won the Nobel Prize for Literature for this book, so I thought I would give it a whirl.  The Old Man and the Sea pretty much sums up what this whole book is about.  It is about an old man who goes fishing in the ocean after a big fish.  Hemingway is a pretty good writer to keep me captivated for over 100 pages about an old man sitting in a boat going after his dream catch.  Luckily I have been fishing in my youth with my dad to know a bit of what he was talking about, even though I've never been deep sea fishing.  Now that I've finished the book I'm still trying to decide what Uncle Ernie is trying to share with me.  Was it you can't beat nature?  That when you go after the biggest fish in the sea, you could be missing other opportunities?  To never give up?  I'm still pondering.  If any of you have read this book and have any thoughts, do share.

Jan's Rating:



Comments

  1. I read both of those books in Jr. High School. I really loved A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. It was definitely a coming of age story. Have you read Betty Smith's other book, Joy In the Morning? I read that one in 10th grade and really liked it too. I can't say the same for Old Man and the Sea. But you know,I might feel differently if I read it now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man