Skip to main content

General Conference Weekend

General Conference weekend was a bit of a blur.  There were lots of family gatherings, spiritual feeding and work.  Here's a rundown of the weekend happenings...

Friday
After work Danny and I went down to my parents' house to spend some time with them.  Remember when  you were little and, at times, wanted to run away to live some exotic life where you could do whatever you wanted.  Now that I'm older I find myself sometimes wanting to run away, but rather to my parents' home.  I kind of did that for 24 hours this weekend and it was such a nice break.

When we got there we helped them clean up from their mission reunion (since my dad was once a mission president). It was kind of fun to see the look on my mom's face when we walked in.  I could almost hear her thinking, "I love my missionaries, but my kids are here.  Time to wrap this party up!"  We quickly went to work clearing tables and putting away chairs.  When everyone went home, we went back to my parents' house and watched the BYU game.  Finally a victory.  Sorry USU, however, I've been really proud on how well your team has been playing this year.

Saturday
I woke up to homemade Belgium waffles with whipped cream and strawberries courtesy of my wonderful mother.  To have a meal that I didn't have to work to pay for or make is bliss.  Thanks Mom!  We watched both sessions of conference with my parents.  There were some great talks which I will share more thoughts on when I do my "Favorite Quotes from Conference" post.  Also, I'm excited about the changing of the required age for missionaries.  More about that later.

We headed home and Danny went to Priesthood Session with his brothers.  My sister Noelle came to my house and we went out to dinner at Chipotle.  They have the best guacamole.  Honestly, we were in taco heaven.  Then my sister asked what I wanted to do.  This is going to sound rather lame, but I told her grocery shopping.  I've been needing to go grocery shopping for almost 2 weeks now, but with work I just don't have time.  Noelle obliged and accompanied me on my grocery trip.  I was so spacey and kept forgetting things I needed, so it kind of took forever.  However, I had an uplifting and deep conversation with my sister among the aisles of cans, boxes and calories.  It's so crazy to me that my baby sister is so grown up and sophisticated and having a baby of her own!

Sunday
I had to be at work at 6am to help with a photo shoot for the New Era Conference edition cover (an LDS Youth magazine).  There is no rest on the Sabbath for many church employees when it is conference weekend.  I was really disappointed to miss the morning session, but I'm hoping to watch it online this evening.  Anyway, my job was to help herd 20 teenagers ages 12-18 to different areas in the Conference Center and direct them what to do for the photographer.  During this photo shoot I had the epiphany that if I'm ever called to serve in Young Women's, I don't think I'll be one of the fun leaders.  Maybe it was because it was so early in the morning, but my strict side sure showed.

I made it home in time for the afternoon session, which was good, but I was super tired so my ability to focus was very low.  After a nice long nap and dinner, Danny and I went to his sister Mary's house to spend time with her family.  I played tea party and ponies with my 4-year-old niece Lady Lu.  She is so darling.  Then I played Ticket to Ride with Danny, Tim and Tim's friend Chad.  My 5-year-old nephew J-Man was helping me by placing my little trains on the board.  He kept telling me that me and Danny are his friends so one of us was going to win.  It turned out I did win. I had to really, J-Man was counting on me.

Comments

  1. I thought most of the photos of conference were candid. Do they set up many photo shoots like this?

    Sounds like a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin - 99% of the photos from conference are candid. For whatever reason some of the magazines wanted more portrait shots for the covers this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to ask the same question Erin did. I'm relieved to hear that the pictures are not all posed.
    Did your parents have their mission reunion at their home?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama Wood - No, they had their mission reunion in the cultural hall of their church building. I think 150 people from their mission showed up, so it was quite the gathering!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou