Skip to main content

General Conference Gems October 2012

Before I post some of my favorite quotes from Conference, I wanted to share my thoughts concerning the announcement about the change of missionary age, 18 for Elders and 19 for Sisters.  I'm excited for both groups but especially the announcement concerning the change for the sisters.  As everyone knows, I loved my mission to England.  I honestly think/talk about it every day.  To put it simply, those 18 months changed my life for the better in every way.  I hope with this age change more young women will see a mission as a viable option in their future.  I think in Mormon culture there is has been a stigma that girls who go on missions go because they didn't have anything else to do when they were 21+.  I didn't find that attitude in any of the sisters I knew on my mission.  Missions are difficult things and quite honestly, I don't think you would last very long if that was your attitude. My hope is that with this age change, it will do away with that silly stereotype.  Now for quotes!

"We shouldn't wait to be happy until we reach some future point, only to discover that happiness was already available - all the time!  Life is not meant to be appreciated only in retrospect." -Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf

"When it comes to living the gospel, we should not be like the boy who dipped his toe in the water and then claimed he went swimming."  -Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf  (I chose two quotes from Pres. Uchtdorf's talk because I loved it!  I found his outlook and advice on life very encouraging.) 

"Service is the very definition of pure religion." -Elder M Russell Ballard (I really liked the metaphor Elder Ballard shared about the honey bee in this talk as well.)

"Though I suffered then, as I look back now, I am grateful that there was not a quick solution to my problem...I came to know my Savior and my Heavenly Father in a way and to a degree that might not have happened otherwise or that might have taken me much longer to achieve." -Elder Neil L. Andersen (Elder Andersen is quoting Elder Christofferson in this quote but I love the idea of the blessings that come from trials of faith.  This talk was an amazing talk on that very subject.)

"We need not be afraid or feel inadequate.  The Savior has promised that He will make us equal to His work."  -Elder Robert D. Hales (This was useful to hear with my recent job change.)

"Our discipleship will be developed and proven not by the type of trials that we are faced with, but how we endure them." -Elder Daniel L. Johnson (Words of wisdom)

"Knowing that the gospel is true is the essence of a testimony.  Consistently being true to the gospel is the essence of conversion."  -Elder David A. Bednar (Elder Bednar always teaches me something new when he speaks.)

"The Lord's delays often seem long; some last a lifetime.  But they are always calculated to bless.  They need never be times of loneliness or sorrow or impatience."  -Pres. Henry B. Eyring (I loved this talk so much.  Really, I love all of President Eyring's talks.  He's very good at making me cry.)

"To help us better love one another, I would like to suggest four words to remember: "First observe, then serve." -Sister Linda K. Burton (This talk wins in making me the most teary.  I was really touched with the stories and experiences Sister Burton shared.)

"The crowning characteristic of love is always loyalty." -Elder Jeffrey R. Holland (I love Elder Holland's passion when he speaks.  It stirs my soul.)

"I have found that, rather than dwelling on the negative, if we will take a step back and consider the blessings in our lives, including seemingly small, sometimes overlooked blessings, we can find greater happiness." -Pres. Thomas S. Monson (I love Pres. Monson's optimism.  This is an area in my own life I've decided to work on since being inspired to do so while watching conference.)

"Many today live in circumstances that are not ideal.  We continue to teach and strive for the ideal because we know that continually striving will keep us progressing along the path and prepare us for opportunities to receive all promised blessings as we 'wait upon the Lord.'" -Sister Carole Stephens (This is from the General Relief Society meeting. I liked this explanation concerning the ideal.  It isn't to leave anyone out, but instead encourage us in our progression.)

Comments

  1. Thanks for typing these quotes out. I am always amazed by how each of us can be touched so deeply by the talks given. I love general conference. You shared many of the things that I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky - Thanks. Conference was great this year, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, conference was wonderful. I can't imagine life without it, but I remember when we had to wait until December to get it. One of the blessings I love most is modern technology that allows us to hear and re-hear our prophets so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama Wood - Agreed, modern technology is such a modern day miracle making it so easy to hear the prophets words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man