Skip to main content

Today

I have a confession, once upon a time young college age Jannifer loved punk music.  Shocking, I know. (Not the screaming type punk, mind you, more like pop punk.)  I don't appear to be the type to like pounding drums and just plain loud.  Most people tell me that I seem like a girl who would like country.  While I like a good country tune here and there, let's get one thing straight, I'm not a country girl.  (No offense to my wonderful friends who are country girls.  Like what you like, be who you are. I just like to clarify any misconceptions on how I may be perceived.)

When I got home from work today, my stomach was in complete knots. Between the news of the Boston bombings, playing catch up at work and other difficulties, I had hit my quota of overwhelmed.  I tried to shake the anxiety by cleaning and organizing. (I finally went through our pile of mail; there was stuff in there since February, oops.)  I still couldn't get rid of the sinking pit in my stomach. I flipped on my laptop, planning on listening to something super chill and relaxing to help calm me down.  Instead, the first song that my iTunes found was a loud, punkish, drumming song I haven't listened to in years.  I almost changed it, but the nostalgic side of me clung on.  Then the strangest thing happened, the knot in my stomach finally started to unravel.  This evening has been filled with tunes from The Ataris, Acceptance, Something Corporate and the likes.  Some of the music I had honestly forgotten I owned among my now "maturing" tastes.  Sometimes when when the world is loud and confusing, you just have to turn the music up louder and keep going.

PS  Prayers for Boston.  Also, after I turned off my loud music last night, I was glancing over the notes I took during conference.  READ Elder Cook's talk about peace, it is amazing and a message the world needs to hear.

PPS I have a lot more posts up ahead, there's so much to cover: conference quotable quotes, my birthday bash, road trip with the husband which was an extension of the birthday bash, and I just finished the most amazing book.  Stay Tuned...

Comments

  1. I would have never expected punk music to calm your anxiety but that's pretty cool it did! :) I can't wait to read your upcoming posts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I try to be full of surprises. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit, I prefer a hymn to calm me down, or Mozart, but to each his own. I think the nostalgia works because we often wish for things the way they were when we weren't so aware of the world's harshness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I actually think it was the nostalgia aspect that had such a profound effect. The music took me back to less complicated times. Or complications I have forgotten, because I was single back then and dating was stressful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man