Skip to main content

General Conference Gems - October 2013

As many of you know, General Conference was a week ago.  I felt spiritual fed, which I have been really needing lately.  I usually make a list of questions of things I need help with in life to listen for during conference, but I didn't do that this time.  I feel like my questions have been relatively the same for the past couple of years. Instead, I just thought I would listen for what I needed to work on.  By the end of the first Saturday session, I already had a long list!  This usually would make me feel guilty, but not so much this time around, which makes me think it wasn't just me being hard on myself, but instead me gaining some guidance and insight. I just tried to pick one or two things from the list to work on for now.

There were so many great talks, that it is hard to choose a favorite one.  If I did have to choose one, it would be President Monson's talk on Sunday morning.  Many of the speakers testified boldly and lovingly.  I really appreciated their messages.
  • "My dear sisters, the Lord allows us to be tried and tested, sometimes to our maximum capacity.  We have seen the lives of loved ones - and maybe our own - figuratively burned to the ground and have wondered why a loving and caring Heavenly Father would allow such things to happen.  But He does not leave us in the ashes; He stands with open arms, eagerly inviting us to come to Him. He is building our lives into magnificent temples where His Spirit can dwell eternally." -Sister Linda S. Reeves  (This quote is from the Relief Society session of conference.  Sister Reeves compared terrible trials to the burning down of the Provo Tabernacle, which is now being rebuilt to be a temple.) 
  • "Being meek does not mean weakness, but it does mean behaving with goodness and kindness, showing strength, serenity, healthy self-worth and self-control"  -Elder Ulisses Soares (I liked this definition of meekness and it also helped me see areas in my life that I need to work on.)
  • "Every man or woman that has ever entered into the church of God and been baptized for the remission of sins has a right to revelation, a right to the Spirit of God, to assist them in their labors, in their administrations to their children, in counseling their children and those over whom they are called upon to preside. The Holy Ghost is not restricted to men, nor to apostles or prophets; it belongs to every faithful man and woman, and to every child who is old enough to receive the gospel of Christ."    -Sister Carole M. Stephens quoting President Wilford Woodruff  (Pretty cool promises there.)
  • "There exists today a great need for men and women to cultivate respect for each other as sons and daughters of God and reverence for our Father in Heaven and His priesthood - His power and authority."  -Sister Carole M. Stephens  (I couldn't help but post another quote from Sister Stephens's talk.  It was really good.)
  • "In the sight of the Lord, it is not so much what we have done or where we have been but much more where we are willing to go." -Elder Edward Dube (Look forward in life with faith, not back at past mistakes.)
  • "Sometimes we may ask God for success, and He gives us physical and mental stamina. We might plead for prosperity, and we receive enlarged perspective and increased patience, or we petition for growth and are blessed with gift of grace." -Elder David A. Bednar (This talk focused on the topic of tithing, but I liked how Elder Bednar explained how sometimes we expect how our prayers should be answered, but when the answer comes through a different blessing, we don't see it.  Important to remember.)
  • "First, doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith." -President Dieter F. Uchtdorf (This quote was all over social media after President Uchtdorf said it, but I couldn't help listing it here.  Good to remember.)
  • "Just as chalk can be removed from a blackboard, with sincere repentance the effects of our transgression can be erased through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  That promise applies in every case." -President Boyd K. Packer
  • "Women bring with them into the world a certain virtue, a divine gift that makes them adept at instilling such qualities as faith, courage, empathy, and refinement in relationships and in cultures." -Elder D. Todd Christofferson  (There has been a lot of talk of women's roles in the church recently.  I have to say I'm grateful for the opportunities of leadership and service made available to me because of my membership in the LDS church and I feel I'm in equal standing with my husband, brothers and with the men I serve side by side with in the gospel.)
  • "Let us remember that through any illness or difficult challenge, there is still much in life to be hopeful about and grateful for. We are infinitely more than our limitations or our afflictions!" -Elder Jeffrey R. Holland  (I loved that Elder Holland spoke about mental illness in this talk.  I feel like this is a topic that isn't discussed enough in church and in our society and something we should be aware of and compassionate about.)
  • "...The Lord sees weaknesses differently than He does rebellion. Whereas the Lord warns that unrepented rebellion will bring punishment, when the Lord speaks of weaknesses, it is always with mercy." -Elder Richard G. Scott  (No one is perfect and I like this reminder concerning weaknesses, which we shouldn't get discouraged about.  Also, Elder Scott opened my eyes to a new way to view the Book of Mormon story in Alma 53.) 
  • "Only the Master knows the depths of our trials, our pain, and our suffering.  He alone offers us eternal peace in times of adversity. He alone touches our tortured souls with His comforting words:  'Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.' (Matthew 11:28-30)  Whether it is the best of times or the worst of times, He is with us. He has promised that this will never change." -President Thomas S. Monson (Favorite talk. I cried a little when President Monson spoke about the passing of his wife and how their 65th anniversary would have been the next day after his talk.)
  • "Substituting the philosophies of men for the gospel truth can lead us away from the simplicity of the Savior's message." -Elder Quentin L. Cook
  • "We should revere the worth of human life, through each of its many stages.  Scripture teaches that the body and the spirit are the soul of man. As a dual being each of you can thank God for His priceless gifts of your body and your spirit." And then later in the talk, he said: "Each time you look in the mirror, see your body as your temple." -Elder Russell M. Nelson (I feel, especially as women, so much hatred is pointed at our bodies, making us feel like we aren't enough. Stop the hate! Our bodies our temples for our spirits to give us the opportunity to make a difference with our lives.  Not some object to be thin enough, hot enough, etc.)

Comments

  1. Thanks for your conference summaries. I love your conference posts. I really enjoyed all of the talks too, but I think one of my favorites was Elder Scott's. I have felt the Lord's mercy lately and felt grateful to be reminded of the difference between making mistakes and rebellion. Did you listen to Elder Osguthorpe's talk for the CES conference this past Sunday? (Nov3) It addressed this same idea too. It is a comfort to know that sincere repentance can bring forgiveness (as Elder Packer said).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man