Skip to main content

The Great Escape

This winter has been, well, cold.  So very bitterly cold.  (Those in Northern Utah know what I'm talking about.) For more than 2 weeks, we barely saw temperatures over 20 degrees F.  Most mornings were single digits at the beginning of the month.  Plus this inversion is killing me, the smog and pollution in the air is beyond gross.  Something needed to be done.  Last week I was chatting with my sister online and coveting the warmer weather down in Southern Utah.  She was telling me how bored she was getting while waiting around during these last few weeks of pregnancy.  So we came up with the grand idea that Danny and I would come down to visit over the long weekend so we could enjoy the sunshine and entertain Michele at the same time.  We had a fun, chill weekend.  Here were the highlights of our quick trip...

  • Playing lots of card and board games.  I had great beginners luck the first evening we were there, but that was not the case by the last night.
  • Attending Michele's bridal shower thrown by the ladies in the ward.
  • Sunshine, sunshine and more sunshine.  It was in the high 50's, which felt like a balmy, summer day to me and Danny.  Plus, no smog!
  • Playing Bocce Ball at the park!  I held my own against Dan and Danny.
  • Trying out a new Mexican restaurant.
  • Visiting one of my favorite places in the world, Yogurtland!  They by far have the best frozen yogurt out of everyone.
  • Sunday Naps.
  • Going on walks and having multiple discussions on a range of topics with Michele, my awesome sister.
  • Dan's family having us over for dinner and games.
  • Enjoying quite possibly the best blueberry pancakes I've ever had in my life at Black Bear Diner.
Now that we have been back for a few days, I have had my first encounter with the "excitement" of driving in a freezing rain storm today, which is very rare in Utah.  I now have a lot more compassion for people back East when they complain about ice storms.  It was terrifying!  Even walking a half a block to get lunch, I felt like I was on an ice skating rink.  It was a bad day to wear Vans.  Luckily, no falls.  Let's just say I'm REALLY missing St. George right now.

Comments

  1. Bocce Ball! Warm weather! Blueberry Pancakes! Why did you leave???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camille, I ask myself the same question every day.

      Delete
  2. St. George misses you too! Supposed to be 61 today... ok sorry i'll stop bragging. But seriously, thanks for visiting! It was fun and helped get my mind off waiting for baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having us, Shel! It was so much fun!

      Delete
  3. How nice to take a break from inversion, ice and snow and visit your sister. So glad you has a long weekend to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very nice; I'm glad we had a long weekend too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue th...

Hello Sunshine

  I've had the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron on my bookshelf for a couple of years now. It is a program that is supposed to connect you to your inner creativity. It may sound a little out there, but sometimes I try out there stuff. So after reading the first chapter, I thought, why not? Creative endeavors always feed my soul and as of late, my soul needs some feeding. Part of the program is to take yourself on a weekly artist date. Dating myself to connect to my inner creativity? Younger versions of myself may have laughed at this, but the mom version of myself is excited about the idea of time alone .  In pure defiance of the snow I have seen almost daily for months, for my first artist date, I decided to get a pedicure. I mostly was there for the foot massage, but I figured if I make my toes sandal ready, then surely the weather will take the hint and spring will start making its appearance. (I know, I know, we need the snow, we are in a drought. All the lakes a d...

Things that brought me joy this week

This past week was Melina's birthday!  Since she lives far away, Talena and I put together a hula party in a box and mailed it to her.  We found all of these treasures at the dollar section at the front of Target.  My favorite moment was when we heard a lady gripe about how the discount section was full of a bunch of useless stuff that no one would buy.  At that very moment we turned the corner, with our hand basket full of awesome stuff we had found.  We just smiled. The party supplies The party agenda I was having a bit of a low evening and Danny suggested we go get my latest craving Sonic blasts.   (Ice cream + candy + whipped cream.)  I know you aren't supposed to feed sorrows with food, but this particular evening I made an exception.  Whoever made that Sonic blast was heaven sent.  It had more Reese's peanut butter cups than actual ice cream.  It's like they sensed my heavy heart and tried to heal it with choc...