Skip to main content

Visiting Roommates

Throughout my single days, I had around 50 roommates between college, my mission, more college and career single life.  For the most part, I was pretty lucky with the various girls I lived with and I'm still friends with many of them.  Last weekend a couple of my past roommates were in town, so we met up to catch up.

First was Michelle, my past roommate from BYU.  We lived together (with Jessica, Marianne and my cousins Julia and Heidi) the year before my mission. That year was such a blast!  Michelle was in town for a wedding, so we met up and went out to dinner.  We laughed and laughed, just like the old days.  (And saying "just like the old days" makes me feel really old.)


Me and Michelle!
Our second visit was with Mallory and her husband Daniel.  Mallory was my roommate the year after my mission in Provo (with Eliza, Lisa, Megan and Janine).  Funny story, Mallory's husband Daniel was in my ward my Freshman year at BYU-Idaho and my FHE brother.  I take a little credit in Mallory's and Daniel's marriage, because they met through me in Provo.  It's so great when two awesome people you know marry each other.  We went out for frozen yogurt and had fun chatting.  Also, small world, we found out that Danny knew Mallory's cousins while on his mission. Good times.
Daniel, Mallory, Me and Danny
I should also mention two weekends ago I went out to lunch with my past roommates from Provo, Joni, Rachel and Melissa.  I love those girls so much.  Joni recently returned from her mission to Honduras, so we all got together and talked mission talk.  Joni was a 20-year-old placed with three returned sister missionaries when we were all living together.  We tried not to pressure her at all and when she turned 21, she told us she felt a mission wasn't for her.  About a year later she called all of us and said, "Well, your stories and the spirit finally got to me, I'm going on a mission!"  We were all delighted for her.  It was so great to spend time with those lovely women.  I can't want to see them again!  (And unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of that lunch; however, below is a picture from our epic road trip to Moab.)

Me, Joni, Rachel and Melissa, back when we were roommies!

Comments

  1. Its always fun to meet up with old friends. And yes, it really is a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50 roommates!!! Wow!! Now I need to count :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama Wood - It was fun! Camille - I know, right?! I guess I moved a lot or something.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue th...

Hello Sunshine

  I've had the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron on my bookshelf for a couple of years now. It is a program that is supposed to connect you to your inner creativity. It may sound a little out there, but sometimes I try out there stuff. So after reading the first chapter, I thought, why not? Creative endeavors always feed my soul and as of late, my soul needs some feeding. Part of the program is to take yourself on a weekly artist date. Dating myself to connect to my inner creativity? Younger versions of myself may have laughed at this, but the mom version of myself is excited about the idea of time alone .  In pure defiance of the snow I have seen almost daily for months, for my first artist date, I decided to get a pedicure. I mostly was there for the foot massage, but I figured if I make my toes sandal ready, then surely the weather will take the hint and spring will start making its appearance. (I know, I know, we need the snow, we are in a drought. All the lakes a d...

Things that brought me joy this week

This past week was Melina's birthday!  Since she lives far away, Talena and I put together a hula party in a box and mailed it to her.  We found all of these treasures at the dollar section at the front of Target.  My favorite moment was when we heard a lady gripe about how the discount section was full of a bunch of useless stuff that no one would buy.  At that very moment we turned the corner, with our hand basket full of awesome stuff we had found.  We just smiled. The party supplies The party agenda I was having a bit of a low evening and Danny suggested we go get my latest craving Sonic blasts.   (Ice cream + candy + whipped cream.)  I know you aren't supposed to feed sorrows with food, but this particular evening I made an exception.  Whoever made that Sonic blast was heaven sent.  It had more Reese's peanut butter cups than actual ice cream.  It's like they sensed my heavy heart and tried to heal it with choc...