Skip to main content

January Blues and a Story

As we are nearing the end of January, I have felt the January blues starting to set in.  The holidays are a distant memory and spring is still too far away to be nothing more than a mere thought.  All I have to look forward to is Groundhog's Day, which isn't much.  This is the time of year I really start getting tired of winter, which I know is quite whiny of me.  I don't remember always feeling this way, when I was little I loved sledding in my backyard and accepted the fact that seasons happen and didn't complain about that fact.  I decided something must of happened sometime in my youth that would turn me so negatively towards winter.  Then this memory came to mind.

When I was in 4th grade and my sister Michele was in kindergarten, I was given the great responsibility of picking up my sister from her classroom and we would walk home together.  Our walk home was quite the ascent up a big hill.  (If I was 80 years old it would be up hill both ways, but I'm not to that point yet.)  One wintry afternoon Michele and I were making our usual walk home.  It had snowed earlier that day and the snowdrifts were very high, at least they were to my 9-year-old self (but I do have to add that I was a tall 9-year-old.)  When we were about halfway up the hill I saw a big snowplow coming up behind us.  We just so happened to be on the section of the hill where the sidewalk had ended.  The snowplow was coming closer and not wanting to get hit, my little sister and I climbed up into the snowdrifts on the side of the road, which I remember being about waist deep.  In such a position, both my sister and I were partially encased in crusty, icy snow and couldn't escape what was about to come upon us.  As the snowplow came next us to the driver pressed whatever button or pulled whatever knob that sprayed rock salt out on to the road.  He drove close enough that he pelleted us with rock salt.  (Despicable, isn't it!?)  Then once he had passed us, he turned off the spraying of salt and continued on his way.  Luckily we had our winter coats on, so it didn't do any real damage.  I don't really remember us crying, but I do remember being in a bit of disbelief that anyone would do that to two little girls like us.  (Hey Shel, do you remember this?)

So, I've decided after all these years, this experience has embedded itself into my brain and grown into the dislike of winter I have today.  (Isn't self psycho-analysis fun?)  And all of this is because of a cranky snowplow driver.  I hope his snowplow has broken down.  The end.

Comments

  1. The solution is to move to Natchitoches. There are no snow plows here. And hardly ever any snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jannifer! A) I did not know YOU had a blog! I'm glad I know that now. B) what a sad story. I can see where your discontent with winter would come from and C) I have similar feelings and bad experiences regarding Halloween. oh and just for kicks and giggles D) I think you're really swell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and a follow up comment with a tip on how to survive winter:

    To shorten winter, borrow some money due in spring.
    - W. J. Vogel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that a snowplow has ruined winter for the rest of your life! I hope you went home and got a hug! Loves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a crazy story! Do you really think he did it on purpose? I hate winter and do plenty of complaining about it and I don't have any past experiences to make me this way. Maybe it was because I didn't grow up in a snowy climate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man