Skip to main content

Latest Happenings from the Weekend

I feel like I'm still in a writer's rut.  Every time I think of blogging, I'm not sure what I should say.  I kind of go into hibernation during the winter, so that could be an explanation for this.  Anyway, here are some happenings from this weekend that are on my mind...


  • I got home on Friday after work to a very cold house and the smell of something burning, which sounds paradoxical, but is true.  Our furnace was making a weird humming noise, so I turned it off and called Danny who called the landlord.  (Our landlord likes him more, so I always have him call.)  I then bundled up in blankets, turned on my little space heater and waited.  The furnace repair man came over and after investigating the situation told me it was the motor of our furnace that was having issues, which would explain the burning smell.  He said there was nothing he could do until the morning, when he could get more parts.  We were in for a chilly evening.  Our landlords were nice and brought over a more powerful space heater than I had, which easily warmed up a room.  We put it in our bedroom when we went to bed and were quite cozy all night.  However, when I woke up the next morning and decided to grab something quick to eat, I opened our bedroom door and found the rest of the house freezing.  I kid you not, when I opened the refrigerator to get some milk, it was warmer in the refrigerator than in the kitchen.  Luckily the furnace repair man came a little while later and all is well again with the heater.
  • Also on Friday night, Danny's sisters Sarah and Mary came over to watch Captain Phillips with us.  They were kind enough to bring dinner.  I know, funny to have company over with a broken heater, but we were just fine and had a good time.  Captain Phillips was intense, but I thought it was very well done.  I think Tom Hanks definitely deserves some awards for it.  Also, watching it made me feel very patriotic.  
  • I got to see some of my favorite babies this weekend.  I visited my good friend Melina and held her little baby, which is just a few weeks old.  I have to admit, newborns make me nervous. They are just so wobbly.  At the end of my visit, I got up to leave when Melina's toddler daughter asked why I was going.  I told her I needed to go home and see my family.  She then said very sweetly, "I would love to come to your house some time."  How can you say no to that?  I told her I would love for her to come over.  She paused for a bit and then inquired, "Do you have a lot of toys?" I answered that I have a box of toys to play with and perhaps we could even have cookies.  She excitedly said, "Ok, I will have one cookie... one big cookie." Haha, good job with portion control, kid.  We also went to my sister's for dinner and we got to see Baby C, my adorable nephew.  We built lego towers for him to knock down, which was great fun.  He even crawled over and gave me a little hug, which I think was really part of his attempt to pull my glasses off my face, but I'll take it.
  • I met with the new YW president for the stake to give her all the stuff that I had for the calling.  We had a good chat about the calling and different activities the stake is over throughout the year, mainly Girl's Camp.  I know she will be great.  Though, I have to admit as I walked away, I felt a little sad.  It was a fun run.  I do feel relief with the release, but I got to work with a lot of remarkable women and girls, which I will miss.

Comments

  1. I think it is very natural to have mixed feelings when being released from a calling, but it usually works out eventually.
    So did Melina's little girl come home with you?
    Right before Sarah was born we were without electricity for several days. Our house was so cold that there were ice crystals on the carpet! Ironically, we had a little gas heater in the bathroom and that was one of the toastiest showers I ever had! It's amazing what a space heater can do. Glad you got the furnace fixed though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man