Skip to main content

Rant

Right now, I should be packing.  But instead, I'm too lazy, so I'm sitting on my bed trying to use my mind power to will my clothes into the suitcase I haven't even opened yet.  Actually, if my clothes started moving out of the closet on their own, I'd probably run from my house screaming.  Tomorrow I'm heading to the WC (west coast, not water closet) for the wedding of the lovely past roommate of mine Brittany, yay!  Hopefully my suitcase gets packed by then.

So I think the pinewood derby is dumb*.  (Gasp from all the den mothers.)  I mean, really, the motto of boy scouts is to be prepared.  How is making a wooden car help you be prepared?  If you get stranded on a deserted island with a boy scout and he says, "Don't worry, I know how to make a pinewood derby car", would that put you at ease?  I think not.  Actually, I'm just being cranky because tonight is the pinewood derby and Danny is a cub scout leader so he is there fulfilling is duties.  What a dutiful man he is.  And since this is my last night home, I kind of wanted to spend it with my honey being that we will be apart for a few days.  I told Danny I would visit him at the derby of all derbies after I'm done packing.  But I haven't even had the strength to go into the kitchen and warm up cold pizza for dinner, so walking down to the church is equivalent to hiking Mount Everest right now.  Sad day.  Instead I'm watching this video of Jimmy Fallon, Carly Rae Jepsen and The Roots singing "Call Me Maybe".  Don't ask me why, because it annoyingly gets stuck in your head for days, but the video is strangely endearing.

In other news, last week we had a family reunion with my mom's side of the family and the whole point of this post was to share the cute picture of my ever growing family.  Everyone was there except my sister's husband, Jared.  (Jared you missed out!)  I know the cuteness of my nephews melts your heart, it's a common occurrence.  (Side Note my nephews are holding a red hula hoop, that's why there is a red circle around them.)


Well that's all for now, Happy Weekend!!

PS  Danny just got home, yay!

PSS Danny just pointed out to me (since I've never been a cub scout) that cub scouts are the ones who do the pinewood derby, not boy scouts.  And the cub scout motto is "Do Your Best".  However, my rant still applies.

*Note to all my nephews, I'm very proud of you for taking part in your pinewood derbies, especially when you win, because you are winners.  Love your Aunt Janni.

Comments

  1. Sorry you wanted Danny to be home when he was at his church activity. I know how that feels.
    p.s. Pinewood derbies are lots of fun. Matthew looks forward to quality time with Joseph every year when they design and build a car together. The boys learn how to be a good sport: how to win some, lose some and have fun doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the derby. The dad does most of the work anyway because you should let an 8 yr old near a saw! Hope you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday you will come to appreciate Pinewood Derbies, especially if you aren't in charge of it. Now that was stress! meanwhile I'm glad you finally got packed for California.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man