Skip to main content

Latest Project: The Desk

When we moved into our new place a few months ago, Danny and I discussed the need I had for a spot where my creative juices could flow.  A spot where I could craft and scrapbook to my heart's content.  Danny and I cleared one side in our second bedroom to give me a little space and were on the look out for a craft table.  Danny called me a few days later from the DI and told me he had found a sturdy desk that just might work.  He then sent me this picture:

It was the right size that I wanted, but I was not a fan of the color.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, it reminds me of the color of one's kidneys.  Since I spend a lot of time on decorating blogs, I thought to myself repainting the desk would be a piece of cake.  So I called my dad who owns a truck and we all headed to the DI together to buy my future craft desk.  As every project, it turned out to be a bit more work than we anticipated.  With only a few free evenings here and there, it took us over a month to complete it.  Special thanks to Danny for helping me every step of the way.

Danny scraping off paint.  I did my share as well!  Our arms were kind of sore
when we were done.

Danny stirring the paint.  I chose a pretty teal for my desk.

Painting, lots of painting.
Once the desk was painted, I wanted to add a little embellishment to the desk.  My sister Noelle has a cricut, so she helped a sister out and cut out vinyl circles to stick on the desk, upon my request.  (Actually, her husband Jared was the one who got all the circles lined up and cut out while Noelle and I chatted, thanks Jared!!!)  So now for the grand unveiling of my new desk...

The top of the desk.

Another view

All ready for crafting to occur!!

Comments

  1. Great job! I love the new color and I love how you can slide your storage box underneath it! I have a scrapbooking room (now Luke's room) and I know it is great to have space to get creative!! :) - Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I would never have had the vision for that old desk that you had. Way to go Janni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookes like a great desk! You made it beautiful. I don't think I could have gotten past the scraping part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scraping paint off is the pits; I'm glad you had a helper. Your desk is lovely, and I am glad that you now have a place for your creative juices to flow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man