Skip to main content

What a Week!

*This may seem more like a journal entry than a post, but it's more for my own benefit since I print my blogs into a book each year. If you feel like an update, here you go. 

Work
This week has been insanely busy.  I worked on two different productions and that means 12 hour work days.  On Thursday, Friday and Saturday I had to get up at 5am and work until the evening.  I was pretty much exhausted when I got home each night.  However, the projects went well and I'm excited to see the final product.  Plus, I called Danny the last minute to come be an extra with me.  We just held hands and walked down the street in the background.  It was fun to spend time with the husband while at work. I also had a few funny experiences on set with the crew.  

Funny Experience #1 - I played dress up and wore the most hideous dress from the 1990's.  Wardrobe and make up even did my hair, hilarious.  I sent Danny a picture via text of me all made up asking if he would have married me in the 90's.  He luckily answered positively, even though it gave him a good laugh.  I'm trying to weigh my dignity against posting that picture.  Right now dignity is winning.

Funny Experience #2 - There was a 9-year-old boy who was part of our cast who cracked me up.  During lunch one day he sat down next to me and asked "If you could have 3 super hero powers, what would they be?"  I responded, "Stop time, read minds and not have to sleep."  (I was a little sleep deprived at this point.)  A coworker kindly pointed out that if I stopped time it wouldn't matter about not having to sleep, because if I did than I wouldn't miss anything.  Good point.  So I switched to being able to teleport.  My 9-year-old friend explained his top 3 powers to me.  Afterwards, he turned to me and asked, "So, do you have an email address?"  What the what?  I was caught off guard by that question and I think my jaw dropped a little.  His older brothers burst out laughing and cut in to the conversation, gently reminding him it isn't wise to ask a married woman for her contact information.

Life
For the past month, Danny and I have been working a craft table for me.  We finally finished painting it a lovely shade of teal.  It reminds of me a Caribbean beach and that makes me happy.  It is now residing in our 2nd bedroom, pictures to come soon.

Sorry in advance for the whining, but I came down with a cold this week.  Not the best week to get sick with work and such.  There's been much sniffling and chugging of Vitamin C.  I currently sound like a chain smoker, don't judge.

Family and Friends
Danny gained some major points this week, not that our marriage is based on a point system.  I came home Thursday after a long day of work and asked Danny how he was doing.  He responded honestly, "Hungry."  Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment, I got a little teary.  Danny quickly evaluated the situation of his tired wife and said, "You lay down and I'll get some Cafe Rio."  Those words were music to my ears.

We also had a small get together/house warming party with some friends this weekend.  It included s'mores, guitar playing and laying on the lawn looking at the stars.  Plus, I was quite pleased with the cuteness/yummyness of the refreshment table I threw together.  (Pictures to come soon.)

This evening we had a small birthday party with Danny's side of the family for our niece Lady Lu.  Lady Lu is so darling.  She came up to me and said, "I used to be two, now I'm three," showing me the changing of age with the number of fingers she held up.  So cute.  I was playing with our 4-year-old nephew, J-Man and I started spinning around the room with him.  I told him he was my prince and we were dancing at a ball.  We had a fabulous time spinning and dipping.  The rest of the night, he kept asking if we could dance some more, it was so sweet.

Church
Last night I got off work just in time to go to the General Relief Society Meeting broadcast.  I went with my younger sister Noelle, since we were both in Provo. We went to the first chapel we saw with cars in the parking lot.  As I was walking down the hall, I heard my name and was pleasantly surprised to see my old roommate Lisa.  It just so happened we went to her stake building, so we all sat by each other.  I really enjoyed the broadcast, especially since my mom sang in the choir and we saw her on screen!  I liked Sister Allred's talk on charity.  I loved the idea she shared that the feeling of charity comes through the atonement of Jesus Christ and the acts of charity come by following Christ's example.  I've never thought of it that way.  I also loved President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk.  He had such great thoughts about being patient with ourselves and not delaying happiness.  As my friend Lisa said, he really "gets" women.

Today was the primary program in church, which means the whole 3 hour block with our primary kids. It was hard at times to help them stay focused on what they were supposed to be doing, but they did pretty good.  We have one little boy in our class who is known for being rambunctious, but at the same time so funny.  Sometimes I know I probably should be more stern with him, but he gets me laughing so much that I can't.  For example, today in sharing time, the primary president asked all the children to get their scriptures out.  I looked over and this little boy had his palms open like a book.  I asked him if he was going to get his scriptures out.  He smiled and said, "I'm using my invisible scriptures."  "Great," I responded, "How about you read the scripture your looking at to me."  "I have to find the right verse!" he replied and started to pretend to flip through the pages.  A minute later, I leaned over and asked if he found the right verse.  He sheepishly shrugged and said, "Invisible scriptures are kind of hard to read."  


So that is about it for this week.  I hoping for more rest this upcoming week and I can't wait for General Conference!  It will be a spiritual feast.

Comments

  1. The only thing that would make this post even better would be a PICTURE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jannifer, please let us see you in the 90's outfit! Thanks for your post, esp. about primary. I miss the kid's comments.
    I really enjoyed the Women's Conference too. Sorry I missed seeing your mom singing. We only got the audio until Sister Thompson's talk. And like yu, I am eagerly awaiting General Conference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janni! Glad you survived your long wk! Sorry you got sick! :( Hope you feel better quickly!

    LOVED your stories! Esp about your 9yr old admirer from the set :) I guess you answered right w/your preferred super powers :):) Also Loved the story of the boy in your primary class! SO clever w/the invisible scriptures! :) HA! That's awesome!

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou