Skip to main content

Stories From This Week

I had a photo shoot this week with a couple of my adorable nieces (ages 4-5).  I was most appreciative that they were willing to participate and that their mothers (my sis-in-laws) were willing to help as well by bringing the girls and helping direct them a bit.  Halfway through, one of my nieces got a little shy and decided she had enough of the photo shoot.  I don't blame her, I don't love my picture being taken as well.  Since we were at her house, she got up and went straight to her room. We decided to take a little break and see if we could convince her into coming back out for the rest of the photo shoot.  Her mom and I went to go talk to her.  This is the following conversation that ensued, which I'm still chuckling about.

Niece: (With her head buried in her pillow) I'm shy, I don't want to go back out.
Me:  You aren't shy, you are one of the friendliest little girls I know!
Niece: (with some tears at this point) Yes I am!
(Note:  Niece needed some validation at this point, bad move on my part.)
Her Mom:  Well what can we do that will make you want to do the photo shoot?
Niece: I want a play date with (insert name of best friend).
Her Mom:  Ok, I will call her mom right now and we can go over after the photo shoot.  I actually have some dog food I need to drop off to them.
(Note:  They had extra dog food after taking care of a dog for awhile, but had to take him back because of behavior problems.)
Niece:  No!  Don't take them the dog food, I like it so I can pretend I'm a puppy.
(I should clarify that her mother explained to me my niece doesn't actually eat the dog food.  She just likes to pretend.)
Me:  How about this.  If you go out and do this photo shoot, I will get you your very own bag of dog food.
Niece: (excitedly) You promise?!
Me: Yes, then you can pretend you are puppy whenever you want.
Niece:  Ok, then I'll do it.

And then she took me by the hand and we walked back out to the living room and we were able to complete the photo shoot.  Man, I love kids.  I've had to bribe with candy multiple times, but this is the first time that dog food was requested.

****

Maybe I shouldn't admit this next happening, but Danny found it rather funny.  I'm sure most of you have heard about the phone scams from the Caribbean Islands.  If you haven't, then read this article and make sure you don't answer or call back numbers from the area codes listed.  Anyway, I got a call at 6am in the morning from one of these scammers.  I realize 6am isn't a big deal for some, but I wasn't planning on getting up until 7:30am, so I was ticked.  

My nifty phone lists where the incoming call is coming from underneath the phone number.  Under the sleep intruding number of this phone call read "Antigua/Barbuda" When I picked up the phone and hit the end call button I glanced at the where the call was coming from.  Ok, remember I didn't have my contacts in, I was half asleep and thoroughly annoyed.  I must have seen the An and a G in the first word and saw the second word started with a B and some how I processed this to thinking it read "Angry Birds Inc." (Seriously, I was tired.) So this was my thought process, "Why would Angry Birds Inc. call me?  Maybe they are calling me to congratulate me on how well I've done on their game.  Well that's nice of them, but they should know better than call me so early.  They can call me back later."

A little bit later when I was more awake, I checked the missed call and realized it was actually from Antigua/Barbuda aka scammer and not from Angry Birds Inc. I then felt a little foolish about my previous conclusion.

****

Last and most importantly, YOU GUYS, IT'S THE OLYMPICS!!!!  I love the Olympics. Even though the opening ceremonies are tonight, Danny and I watched some events last night that were going on.  I don't know what it is about the Olympics, but it makes me very teary.  People achieving their dreams, people working so hard to get there, people with more athletic abilities than me, people losing out on their hopes and getting injured, lots of sentimental commercials, So Many Tears!  I think I got teared up a few times last night and we haven't even gotten to the finals yet!

Also, I was thinking last night how during the last Winter Olympics in 2010 I was dating Danny and sick with mono.  During that time of our dating, he catered to my many whiney needs. Mono is the worst, just so you know.  Anyway, last night, now 2014, I found myself stuck on the couch sick again (not with mono this time, thank goodness) and Danny again catering to my whiney needs.  That man, he deserves a medal.  Also, I hope this isn't a tradition where I'm sick every time the Winter Olympics rolls around, because that isn't cool.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou