Skip to main content

General Conference Gems - April 2012

I'm a little behind in blogging.  It seems that when you have time to blog, you don't have anything to blog about and the opposite as well.  I realize yesterday was Easter, so I should be posting pictures of those festivities. (Happy late Easter, everyone)  However, I've had a whole week to ponder General Conference and the messages shared and I wanted to follow my tradition of sharing some of my favorite quotes from conference.  I thought General Conference was spectacular this year.  The first session on Saturday morning touched me the most, meaning it made me cry the most.  Good, cleansing tears.  I'd love to hear your favorite quotes or talks that touched you!

  • "If we have faith in Jesus Christ, the hardest as well as the easiest times in life can be a blessing. In all conditions, we can choose the right with the guidance of the Spirit. We have the gospel of Jesus Christ to shape and guide our lives if we choose it."  -President Henry B. Eyring (My favorite talk)
  • "Why should you be jealous because I choose to be kind?"  -Elder Jeffery R. Holland  (The talk that humbled me a bit)
  • "It needs to be taught and understood that we love and respect all of the people whom Lehi described. Remember, it is not up to us to judge... President Thomas S. Monson has specifically asked us to have the 'courage to refrain from judging others.'" -Elder Quentin L. Cook (I loved his comparison of Mark Twain's remark on the Book of Mormon and the scholar in England who found the church through the same text Mark Twain made light of.)
  • "Humility is a fertile soil where spirituality grows and produces the fruit of inspiration to know what to do. It gives access to divine power to accomplish what must be done." -Elder Richard G. Scott  (Whenever Elder Scott talks about his wife who has passed on, my heart melts a little.  They seem to have such a tender love story.)
  • "Our degree of gratitude is a measure of our love for Him (God)." -Elder Russell M. Nelson (Very cool and insightful reminder of physical and spiritual blessings.)
  • "President Joseph Fielding Smith told the sisters that they had 'been given power and authority to do a great many things.'" -Sister Julie B. Beck  (I will miss Sister Beck as the RS General President.)
  • “There can be no genuine happiness separate and apart from the home. … There is no happiness without service, and there is no service greater than that which converts the home into a divine institution, and which promotes and preserves family life." -Elder M. Russell Ballard quoting President Joseph F. Smith
  • “Our missionary experiences have to be current. It is not enough to sit back and ponder former experiences. To be fulfilled, you have to continue to naturally and normally share the gospel."  -Elder David F. Evans quoting President Thomas S. Monson  
  • "'Don’t judge me because I sin differently than you.' We must recognize that we are all imperfect—that we are beggars before God."  -President Dieter F. Uchtdorf  (This talk was such a great reminder!)
  • "If you desire to make a difference in the world, you must be different from the world. " -Sister Elaine S. Dalton  (This was from the General Young Women Meeting) 
There were so many other great talks I didn't choose quotes from.  I also loved Elder Oaks' talk on sacrifice and Elder Anderson's story about the family in Haiti surviving the earthquake.  It was such an inspiring and uplifting weekend!

Comments

  1. I love General Conference so much. I noticed they talked a lot about families, and I am so grateful that you have joined ours. Thanks for sharing these comments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou