Skip to main content

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves.

Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips

Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.  (Growing old, sigh.)
Members of the family that came to support!
Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert.
The boys clapping along.
He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good.
Danny the guitar man.
Performing a number with the band.

Saturday Morning and Early Afternoon: Swahili Branch Young Women's Day Camp

I think I've mentioned before that I'm in the Stake Young Women's presidency. We have the pleasure of having a Swahili branch in our stake.  I kind of love going to the branch, because it reminds me of my mission.  I know, I went to England, but I taught a lot of wonderful African people while I was there. Anyway, we put on a day camp for the young women on Saturday and took the girls to different church sites around SLC.  I was tired afterwards, but it was a lot of fun. (While I do know pretty much all of the girls names, I'm not going to mention them on the blog, just for privacy reasons.)

First stop, Ensign Peak!
We made it!  Megan and Laura are some of the awesome leaders I get
to work with.  Also the cute girl on the right was one of sweetest girls!
Our whole group at the top of Ensign Peak.
 Next Stop, Temple Square!

Funny story, the girls really wanted to play in the Reflection Pool, or any water for that matter.  When they started flicking water at each other, instead of yelling at them, I dramatically told them they couldn't disturb the water.  They (of course) asked me why.  I asked them with their hands in the water, if they could see their reflection.  They told me no.  I told them, it is called the Reflection Pool, if you play in it then you can't see your reflection!  They looked at me like I was a little crazy, but they all stopped.  I'm ok with being the crazy leader.
A bunch of the girls by another water fountain.  At this point I think I was
telling them that if they take any money from the fountain, then they are
stealing people's wishes.  Another moment when they looked at me funny.
Amy, our fearless leader, discussing the temple with the girls.  Along with
being the crazy leader, I also got to be the strict leader.  I had to take
away a phone from one of the girls during this discussion.  Rules are rules.
(Don't worry, I gave back at the end.)
Inside the Visitor's Center.  The two girls in the middle rode in my car. We
had some of the best conversations from how we like to celebrate
our birthdays to how to get into college.  Also, the girl on the right was
one of the shyer girls, but at the end she came up and gave me a hug
and thanked me.  Totally melted my heart.
Looking at the model of the Salt Lake Temple in the
Visitor's Center.
Last Stop, LDS Business College.
We had an African student come and talk about the importance of education, which was great.  We then had lunch, made bracelets and decorated cookies.
Working on our craft.
Frosting cookies, which turned into making scenes out of frosting and
candy on the plates as well. Good times.

Saturday Late Afternoon: My Niece, Lady Lu's Birthday Party!

So many screaming and giggling little girls, but you only turn 5 once, right?

We couldn't resist a little BYU fan club picture while at the party.
 Me, Heather, Miss E and Baby A.
Opening presents.
Happy Birthday to this little girl!  She always makes
me laugh and I love playing tea party and any other
imagination game she comes up with. She's a doll!

Saturday Evening:  BYU vs U of U Game and Craft Night and Noelle and Jared's!

First off, BYU, come on! You are breaking my heart here!  Last night was such an emotionally played game on both sides, with so many penalties and fouls.  Frustrating, to say the least.  BYU hasn't beat the U since Danny and I have been married.  I was really hoping that last night would be my turn to gloat, but it was a no go. Sigh.  At least I can remember the glory days when BYU did beat the U when I was going to school there.

Also, Noelle and I worked on some fall crafts during the game, which was the best idea ever, because the game was frustrating the heck out of me.  It was nice to have something to take my mind off the lack of touchdowns.

Danny, my U of U man and Me, Noelle and Jared who rooted for BYU.
Unfortunately my BYU shirt needed to be washed, so I had to improvise.
Me and Noelle during craft time.  I will post later on how our little crafty
creations worked out.

Sunday:  Uncle Jim and Aunt Linda's Homecoming

I bet you thought we were done, but we are not.  On Sunday, we went to listen to my Uncle Jim and Aunt Linda speak in their ward after returning from their mission in Rochester, New York.  (Same mission my parents served in a few years ago.)  It was so great to see them and hear their awesome stories of missionary work.

I didn't get any pictures of the whole family gathering for
the homecoming, but Danny did get a pic of Baby C on his phone
before the meeting started, because he is cute.
You made it!  Thanks for being interested enough in my life to read this.  Just so you know, after all of this craziness, I did take a 3 hour nap today and our house is a bit of wreck.  Neither do I feel to guilty about.  However, I did inform Danny that for FHE tomorrow night, deep cleaning will be the activity.  So we will see how that goes...

Comments

  1. fun! wish i could have crafted with you! oh man, i don't even know what a 3 hour nap would be like. sounds so nice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shel, we totally did the craft you posted on your blog, so in a way, you did craft with us. :)

      Delete
  2. AWESOME! I loved reading about the YW activity. Sounds like it was lots of fun! Glad you got to make some cool crafts during the game. You'll have to post pics of the finished product. Sorry about the loss, although I was rooting for U of U! (Supporting my parents' and Danny's school, you know.) Glad you got a nap after such a busy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understand about the Woods rooting for the U. And yes, I'll post pics of the crafts soon.

      Delete
  3. You really did have a busy weekend! Your Swahili YW camp looks like it was awesome! I think you should send that picture of them on the mountain top to the New Era.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same with me and Tyler :( no BYU wins since we've been marrried... he gets to rub it in every year! Its not fair! And I don't know how you did all that in ONE DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoot and I posted that last comment under Tyler's name. -Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha it's fine and I forgot that you also married a U of U man! Agreed, it isn't fair! And now that they aren't playing against each other for a few years, we have to wait for some redemption here. Also, yes, it was a very busy day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

2013 - The Year of Grace

I know we are well into 2014, but I'm still in the midst of recounting last year and making goals for this year. As I've looked back on and thought about 2013, I have to admit it has been a rocky year. However, during some of these hard times, I feel like Danny and I have drawn even closer in our marriage. I sure love that man of mine. I really think what makes a strong marriage is facing the tough stuff together. I have also grown closer to my Savior, though at times it didn't always feel like it, which I will discuss more below. I can honestly say, this year has whittled me down to a rather more fragile version of myself.  I think that is what being humbled is.  I have been humbled.  I’m still working on being humble. I think with this past year, I’m understanding more what grace is.  I think you have to experience a lowly place to even feel the need for grace.  I agree with the common phrase: “Do your best.” However, I don’t think we always understand what ou