Skip to main content

Internet Finds for the Day

I have spent way too much time lately researching for work purposes and in doing so, I've come across some interesting articles/websites. So here are the top three things I found today online.

#1 The story of Julia Mavimbla
Julia is one of the most inspiring women I have read about. She has lived a life of service and doing good in the country of South Africa. I think my favorite story from her life was when there riots in her community of Soweto, in 1976, Julia's biggest concern was for the youth and the effect the violence would have them. She acquired an abandoned church yard and gathered the young children and taught them how to garden. Soon other children were joining to get away from the violence. She would teach the children, "Where there has been a blood stain, a beautiful flower must grow." And over time there were gardens across the community that she and the children had created together.

#2 Freerice.com
I remember hearing about this website and then forgetting about it and then finding it again today. It is a website where you can quiz yourself in different subjects and all the questions you answer correctly, Free Rice and its sponsors donate rice to those in need through the World Food Programme. I read on their blog that all the rice raised in January will go to those in need in Haiti. Sounds like a good cause to me. So I took a break to test my French, which I last took in 9th grade. Commce commca.

#3 Article about the importance to "unplug"
This is an interview with an MIT Professor of Social Studies of Science and Technology that shares her insights about our society and the effects of always being connected, whether it is through the cell phone, social networks and so forth. (Ironic I'm putting this on a blog.) I found it really interesting and I couldn't help but agree especially since I find these different technologies sometimes leaving me frazzled. Also ironic to mention on a blog. Oh well, happy reading.

Comments

  1. I liked the article about "Alone Together". We do need to be careful about the time we spend with technology. Dare I admit that sometimes I am loneliest when sitting at my computer and there are no new e-mails, or when my husband is all off in his very own cyber space and it doesn't really matter that I am in the same room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually know the guy who came up with freerice.com. He is part of teach for america and works at my school. I found it very addicting. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue th...

Hello Sunshine

  I've had the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron on my bookshelf for a couple of years now. It is a program that is supposed to connect you to your inner creativity. It may sound a little out there, but sometimes I try out there stuff. So after reading the first chapter, I thought, why not? Creative endeavors always feed my soul and as of late, my soul needs some feeding. Part of the program is to take yourself on a weekly artist date. Dating myself to connect to my inner creativity? Younger versions of myself may have laughed at this, but the mom version of myself is excited about the idea of time alone .  In pure defiance of the snow I have seen almost daily for months, for my first artist date, I decided to get a pedicure. I mostly was there for the foot massage, but I figured if I make my toes sandal ready, then surely the weather will take the hint and spring will start making its appearance. (I know, I know, we need the snow, we are in a drought. All the lakes a d...

Things that brought me joy this week

This past week was Melina's birthday!  Since she lives far away, Talena and I put together a hula party in a box and mailed it to her.  We found all of these treasures at the dollar section at the front of Target.  My favorite moment was when we heard a lady gripe about how the discount section was full of a bunch of useless stuff that no one would buy.  At that very moment we turned the corner, with our hand basket full of awesome stuff we had found.  We just smiled. The party supplies The party agenda I was having a bit of a low evening and Danny suggested we go get my latest craving Sonic blasts.   (Ice cream + candy + whipped cream.)  I know you aren't supposed to feed sorrows with food, but this particular evening I made an exception.  Whoever made that Sonic blast was heaven sent.  It had more Reese's peanut butter cups than actual ice cream.  It's like they sensed my heavy heart and tried to heal it with choc...