Skip to main content

Cake Decorating 101 - Class #1

Last week Talena and I started our cake decorating class! One night a week, we enter the fascinating world of frosting. Our first class went well. We were taught the basics of cake baking and how to properly frost a cake. We then practiced with the star tip to make all kinds of pretty designs. We practiced on sugar cookies for this class. Since Talena and I are working women we didn't have any time to make homemade sugar cookies. We found Christmas shortbread cookies at our local Target for 90% off, you can't pass a deal up like that! So our cookies were more on the festive side. They didn't taste the best, but it was really for practice anyway.

I have to add that back in the days of high school, whenever Talena and I had a class together, our teacher always ended up hating us, which is a shame because we were such nice girls. We just really liked talking mainly to each other and even more so sharing our witty little side comments with each other. I'm proud to announce we haven't been kicked out of our cake decorating class for talking yet. (However, the whispering of witty side comments still occurs.)

All ready for my first day of class. (Yes, I think I'm funny.)

Talena concentrating hard to get the frosting into the frosting bag.

Using my new skills with the star tip.

The final product for class #1. Next week, we work on a real cake, oooooo.

Comments

  1. I love your apron, Jannifer. So cute. And you and the cookies are too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous cookies. I only wish I could get married again so you could do the honors of decorating my cake all with the star tip. I love it. Looks like you are going to have lots of fun at your classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed--your talents are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JanaRae actually made the apron for me as a wedding gift. And JanaRae, you name the date you want a star tip cake and you will get it! Also, thanks Mom, you are too kind. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue th...

Hello Sunshine

  I've had the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron on my bookshelf for a couple of years now. It is a program that is supposed to connect you to your inner creativity. It may sound a little out there, but sometimes I try out there stuff. So after reading the first chapter, I thought, why not? Creative endeavors always feed my soul and as of late, my soul needs some feeding. Part of the program is to take yourself on a weekly artist date. Dating myself to connect to my inner creativity? Younger versions of myself may have laughed at this, but the mom version of myself is excited about the idea of time alone .  In pure defiance of the snow I have seen almost daily for months, for my first artist date, I decided to get a pedicure. I mostly was there for the foot massage, but I figured if I make my toes sandal ready, then surely the weather will take the hint and spring will start making its appearance. (I know, I know, we need the snow, we are in a drought. All the lakes a d...

Things that brought me joy this week

This past week was Melina's birthday!  Since she lives far away, Talena and I put together a hula party in a box and mailed it to her.  We found all of these treasures at the dollar section at the front of Target.  My favorite moment was when we heard a lady gripe about how the discount section was full of a bunch of useless stuff that no one would buy.  At that very moment we turned the corner, with our hand basket full of awesome stuff we had found.  We just smiled. The party supplies The party agenda I was having a bit of a low evening and Danny suggested we go get my latest craving Sonic blasts.   (Ice cream + candy + whipped cream.)  I know you aren't supposed to feed sorrows with food, but this particular evening I made an exception.  Whoever made that Sonic blast was heaven sent.  It had more Reese's peanut butter cups than actual ice cream.  It's like they sensed my heavy heart and tried to heal it with choc...