Skip to main content

A Story about a Window

Have you ever had those moments when you ask yourself, "How did I get myself in such a odd situation?"  I had one of those moments just the other day.

A week or so ago Danny picked me up from work like usual.  He had the driver's side window rolled down, a common occurrence.  I mentioned I was chilly, so Danny tried to roll up the window, but nothing happened.  We attributed it to the short in the wire and figured we would wait a few minutes and it would be fine.  Alas, it was not fine. No matter how many times we turned the car on and off, the short was permanent.  We soon figured out the electronics to the whole driver's side door was out, including the button needed to pop the latch to fill the gas tank.  Not only was our window stuck, but we also couldn't fill up our car.  Luckily this all occurred when we still had a half a tank of gas.  I had a minor freak out since it was supposed to rain that night and I didn't want the whole interior of our car to be ruined as well.

Danny got to work, he called the mechanics and made an appointment.  They couldn't see our car until early the next morning.  Danny had a work meeting, so I volunteered to take the car in.  Then Danny with his Macgyver skills created a covering for our window with a little bit of duct tape and a tarp to protect the leather seats from any oncoming storm.

I found myself the next morning wrapped in blankets, my winter coat and scarf cruising down I-15 with a constant, frigid breeze on my face.  I got a few weird looks during my drive, yes people I do realize that my window is down and it is only 40 degrees outside.  However, I did have a struck of luck and the storm held off until later that day.  By the time I arrived at the mechanics my hair was a bit skiwampus, to say the least.

I dropped off our car and was told by the dealership that they had a shuttle that could take me downtown to work.  The shuttle, I soon found out, was actually an old man in a car.  I never learned my driver's name, but in my head I called him Frank.  So Frank kindly took me to work and since we didn't know each other we talked about the flow of traffic for 15 minutes, because really what else was there to say?  Our conversation went something like this...

Frank:  "It isn't that busy this morning."
Me:  "Yes, that's a pleasant surprise."
Frank:  "We are in luck."
Me:  "Yes, we are."
Frank:  "I don't think we will even need to use the HOV lane."
Me:  "No, this lane seems to be just fine."
And so forth...

In this middle of this conversation, it struck me, the "how did I get myself in this odd situation" moment.  The humor of this situation hit me so hard. I struggled to hold back my giggles, which I think might of confused Frank on why the HOV lane was so funny to me. The tarp covering, driving in freezing weather with a stuck, rolled down window, the state of my hair, being taken to work by some old man, seriously hilarious.  Life is funny.  (The cost of fixing some wires in your car door is not as funny.)

The next morning I woke up not remembering my dream, but I had the words, "A new car!" in Bob Barker's voice running through my head.  I imparted this inspiration with Danny that we needed to go to The Price is Right to fix our car problems.  Danny just laughed, as he usually does, at my crazy ideas.  But seriously, I really want to go to The Price is Right.  Anyway, the car is fixed and all is well.

Comments

  1. Glad your car is fixed and you got a funny story to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange but funny! I bet the worst part of it all was how much it cost to have it fixed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your humorous take on this adventure. I glad Danny used some of the Wood family rigging skills to cope with the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I know from experience that electronic windows are expensive; that's why we specifically got the manual ones for our first minivan. I'm back to the electronic kind, but I must say I'm glad I have a garage!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue th...

Hello Sunshine

  I've had the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron on my bookshelf for a couple of years now. It is a program that is supposed to connect you to your inner creativity. It may sound a little out there, but sometimes I try out there stuff. So after reading the first chapter, I thought, why not? Creative endeavors always feed my soul and as of late, my soul needs some feeding. Part of the program is to take yourself on a weekly artist date. Dating myself to connect to my inner creativity? Younger versions of myself may have laughed at this, but the mom version of myself is excited about the idea of time alone .  In pure defiance of the snow I have seen almost daily for months, for my first artist date, I decided to get a pedicure. I mostly was there for the foot massage, but I figured if I make my toes sandal ready, then surely the weather will take the hint and spring will start making its appearance. (I know, I know, we need the snow, we are in a drought. All the lakes a d...

Things that brought me joy this week

This past week was Melina's birthday!  Since she lives far away, Talena and I put together a hula party in a box and mailed it to her.  We found all of these treasures at the dollar section at the front of Target.  My favorite moment was when we heard a lady gripe about how the discount section was full of a bunch of useless stuff that no one would buy.  At that very moment we turned the corner, with our hand basket full of awesome stuff we had found.  We just smiled. The party supplies The party agenda I was having a bit of a low evening and Danny suggested we go get my latest craving Sonic blasts.   (Ice cream + candy + whipped cream.)  I know you aren't supposed to feed sorrows with food, but this particular evening I made an exception.  Whoever made that Sonic blast was heaven sent.  It had more Reese's peanut butter cups than actual ice cream.  It's like they sensed my heavy heart and tried to heal it with choc...