Skip to main content

Easter Craft

First off, good news, H&M is coming to Utah!  I fell in love with H&M during my time in England.  I always made sure to visit H&M (and go on a small shopping spree) during my trips to see my parents when they lived in New York.  As you can see, I'm really excited by this announcement!

For Easter I experimented making decoupage eggs using real eggshells, a craft that I found online here.  

First take of the top of the egg (I would crack the top and 
peel a little of the shell off) and empty the egg. Danny and I 
ate a lot of German pancakes, since I don't actually like eggs.  
Next, gently wash the eggshells out with dish soap and water.
Let the shells dry overnight.  Then you fill them with Easter candy.
(Just in case you didn't get enough from the Easter Bunny.)

Next cut up pieces of tissue paper and use mod podge to
past the strips to the eggshell.  I started by pasting a bigger
strip over the hole in the shell and once that had dried, I
decoupaged the rest of the egg.

The final product!!
I thought the decoupaged eggs turned out really cute.  I gave one to each of the ladies I visit teach with some more Easter candy.  However I did learn after spending all that time decoupaging eggs, I didn't really want to break them open to get the treats when I was done.  If I decide to do this again, I think I'll buy the little wooden eggs from a craft store and decoupage those and just use them as decorations.

Comments

  1. Or, can't you decoupage the egg shells and just not fill them? I got some wooden eggs in Poland, but they are already decorated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue th...

Hello Sunshine

  I've had the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron on my bookshelf for a couple of years now. It is a program that is supposed to connect you to your inner creativity. It may sound a little out there, but sometimes I try out there stuff. So after reading the first chapter, I thought, why not? Creative endeavors always feed my soul and as of late, my soul needs some feeding. Part of the program is to take yourself on a weekly artist date. Dating myself to connect to my inner creativity? Younger versions of myself may have laughed at this, but the mom version of myself is excited about the idea of time alone .  In pure defiance of the snow I have seen almost daily for months, for my first artist date, I decided to get a pedicure. I mostly was there for the foot massage, but I figured if I make my toes sandal ready, then surely the weather will take the hint and spring will start making its appearance. (I know, I know, we need the snow, we are in a drought. All the lakes a d...

Things that brought me joy this week

This past week was Melina's birthday!  Since she lives far away, Talena and I put together a hula party in a box and mailed it to her.  We found all of these treasures at the dollar section at the front of Target.  My favorite moment was when we heard a lady gripe about how the discount section was full of a bunch of useless stuff that no one would buy.  At that very moment we turned the corner, with our hand basket full of awesome stuff we had found.  We just smiled. The party supplies The party agenda I was having a bit of a low evening and Danny suggested we go get my latest craving Sonic blasts.   (Ice cream + candy + whipped cream.)  I know you aren't supposed to feed sorrows with food, but this particular evening I made an exception.  Whoever made that Sonic blast was heaven sent.  It had more Reese's peanut butter cups than actual ice cream.  It's like they sensed my heavy heart and tried to heal it with choc...