Skip to main content

Talena's Birthday Party!

So what do you do when one of your best friends is having her golden birthday (when you turn the age of the date of your birth) and she confides that she would like a celebration, but doesn't want to be too much of the center of attention, she likes small groups of people, but has lots of friends.  Paradox, yes.  This is what I did, I called our creative mutual friends Melina, Ashley and Annie and asked for help.  Together we came up with the most brilliant idea.  We planned a progressive surprise party for our dear friend Talena.  What is a progressive surprise party, you may ask?  I will tell you.

First you invite your best bud over for dinner on her birthday.  Without her knowing, you have a basket with the same amount of gifts of the age she is turning all wrapped, numbered and ready to go.  Each gift is a dollar store treasure with a typed up punny reason of why you love your friend.  (Example:  A bag of peanut M&M's included with a paper that reads: "Reason #__ Why We Love Talena...She's sweet and a little nutty."  You get the idea.) You then secretly place it on your front porch when she isn't looking.  Then on 15 minute intervals you have a friend or two arrive, grab the next numbered gift and deliver it to your unexpecting friend. By the end of the evening you have a happy friend feeling adored, a bunch of adoring friends and a lot of cake to eat.  


As you can see, the evening was a success!  I was so pleased how it turned out, even though I was running behind time and frosted the cake in the middle of the party.  Oh well.  Talena seemed really grateful and happy and that is what is most important.

Food and decorations:
All the presents.  Melina and I had a fabulous time coming up with the
puns.  We thought we were so clever.

The layered cake.  I found it is way easier to frost them like this instead
of stacking the layers.  Plus, it looks so pretty.

I got the idea for this little snacks here.  I used caramel filled Hershey kisses,
but someone at the party told me Rolos work a lot better. 

The birthday banner!  I've been wanting to make one of these for awhile.  
Special thanks to Danny who cut out half of the banner flags for me
while I wrapped presents.

The Party!
The princess of the party.

Our first friends to arrive at the party.  Dave and Melina called in via
video chat.  It was so fun talking to them!

More friends arrived!

Getting ready to blow out the candles.  We had some friends who 
sampled the cake a little early, haha.

The audience for blowing out the candles.

Me and Talena Balena

Opening more gifts, hooray!
...
Well that's a wrap. (hehe)

Comments

  1. that is such a fun idea! you can do it for my next b-day :) haha. p.s.. very cute cakes too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Janny! Thanks so much! It was great fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the BEST idea I've ever hear of! Looks like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an amazing friend!! What a wonderful idea and looks like everyone, (birthday girl included) had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet idea for a party! Talena is lucky to have you for a friend. It looks like everyone had a great time. I like that you were okay frosting the cake during the party. We had a fun party when Becky was a girl when I didn't have time to make the Apple Betty she really wanted and so had her friends help peel the apples and help make it. All the girls loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue th...

Hello Sunshine

  I've had the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron on my bookshelf for a couple of years now. It is a program that is supposed to connect you to your inner creativity. It may sound a little out there, but sometimes I try out there stuff. So after reading the first chapter, I thought, why not? Creative endeavors always feed my soul and as of late, my soul needs some feeding. Part of the program is to take yourself on a weekly artist date. Dating myself to connect to my inner creativity? Younger versions of myself may have laughed at this, but the mom version of myself is excited about the idea of time alone .  In pure defiance of the snow I have seen almost daily for months, for my first artist date, I decided to get a pedicure. I mostly was there for the foot massage, but I figured if I make my toes sandal ready, then surely the weather will take the hint and spring will start making its appearance. (I know, I know, we need the snow, we are in a drought. All the lakes a d...

Things that brought me joy this week

This past week was Melina's birthday!  Since she lives far away, Talena and I put together a hula party in a box and mailed it to her.  We found all of these treasures at the dollar section at the front of Target.  My favorite moment was when we heard a lady gripe about how the discount section was full of a bunch of useless stuff that no one would buy.  At that very moment we turned the corner, with our hand basket full of awesome stuff we had found.  We just smiled. The party supplies The party agenda I was having a bit of a low evening and Danny suggested we go get my latest craving Sonic blasts.   (Ice cream + candy + whipped cream.)  I know you aren't supposed to feed sorrows with food, but this particular evening I made an exception.  Whoever made that Sonic blast was heaven sent.  It had more Reese's peanut butter cups than actual ice cream.  It's like they sensed my heavy heart and tried to heal it with choc...