Skip to main content

To Be Happy...

So the purpose of this post is to share this article I came across today.  It is an interesting study concerning happiness.  I don't think this is the first time I've posted articles about this topic.  I just find it fascinating, since that is what everyone wants, right?  To be happy.  The author (who wrote a whole book about this stuff) talks about how often we put off happiness until a goal is reached, whether it is a relationship, a promotion, recognition, whatever we view as success.  When, in reality, his research shows this formula is backwards.  Success comes to those who are happy.  So to be successful, one needs cultivate happiness first.  It was a good reminder to be grateful for what I have and live in the moment more.

In other news...
  • I finished reading The Hunger Games Trilogy last night, just in time for the first movie.  I'll do another post with a full book review, but just so you know those books were emotionally exhausting.
  • I made my second visit to The City Creek Center today while going to lunch with my friend Laurie. It is the newest shopping center in Salt Lake City and opened yesterday and it is also right across the street from where I work.  Convenient.  Yesterday I took a stroll though the masses to get a glimpse of the fancy stores.  It was a bright sunny day, feeling more like early summer than March.  So today, I was expecting more sun and wore a spring skirt and flats.  (I always get excited to bust out clothes for the next season.)  Of course my jaunt this time around the City Center was cloudy and windy, causing me to having embarrassing moments of trying to keep my skirt down from the gusts of wind.  Sigh, you can never trust spring in Utah.
  • Lastly, I saw this on pinterest today and it made me feel all good inside, so I thought I'd share...

Comments

  1. One of the best things to help you be happy is to serve others. Thanks for sharing all these positive things with us, Jannifer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so if I'm following you on Pinterest, how did I miss that pin?! :) Thanks for the reminder to be happy NOW instead of thinking we can be happy after such and such...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue th...

Hello Sunshine

  I've had the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron on my bookshelf for a couple of years now. It is a program that is supposed to connect you to your inner creativity. It may sound a little out there, but sometimes I try out there stuff. So after reading the first chapter, I thought, why not? Creative endeavors always feed my soul and as of late, my soul needs some feeding. Part of the program is to take yourself on a weekly artist date. Dating myself to connect to my inner creativity? Younger versions of myself may have laughed at this, but the mom version of myself is excited about the idea of time alone .  In pure defiance of the snow I have seen almost daily for months, for my first artist date, I decided to get a pedicure. I mostly was there for the foot massage, but I figured if I make my toes sandal ready, then surely the weather will take the hint and spring will start making its appearance. (I know, I know, we need the snow, we are in a drought. All the lakes a d...

Things that brought me joy this week

This past week was Melina's birthday!  Since she lives far away, Talena and I put together a hula party in a box and mailed it to her.  We found all of these treasures at the dollar section at the front of Target.  My favorite moment was when we heard a lady gripe about how the discount section was full of a bunch of useless stuff that no one would buy.  At that very moment we turned the corner, with our hand basket full of awesome stuff we had found.  We just smiled. The party supplies The party agenda I was having a bit of a low evening and Danny suggested we go get my latest craving Sonic blasts.   (Ice cream + candy + whipped cream.)  I know you aren't supposed to feed sorrows with food, but this particular evening I made an exception.  Whoever made that Sonic blast was heaven sent.  It had more Reese's peanut butter cups than actual ice cream.  It's like they sensed my heavy heart and tried to heal it with choc...