Skip to main content

Sweet Sushi


This past weekend was the husband's 30th birthday!  I wanted to do something special for his little shindig we had with some family and friends.  Danny hearts sushi with a capital heart.  I came across this little find on pinterest for rice crispy sushi and I knew I had to try it out.  (Awesome thing about pinterest, so many great ideas.  Sad thing about pinterest, I can't claim any creativity when I use those ideas.)  Anyway, to create the rice crispy treat sushi, I made normal rice crispy treats and then used Swedish fish, fruit roll-ups and gummy worms for the roll centers.  I learned they don't make green fruit roll-ups anymore.  I thought purple should be my next choice since the seaweed on sushi is usually blackish, but I couldn't find any of that either.  I ended up using the flavor "tropical tie-dye" which was all the flavors mixed together.  I thought it turned out cute and more importantly Danny was quite pleased with them.

In other news, a new nephew joined our family yesterday!  That makes 10 nephews on my side of the family and no nieces, crazy.  But I love my little nephews, they make every family gathering exciting.  Congrats to M and JR!!

Comments

  1. Congrats on the new nephew. That really is incredible--no granddaughters for your parents--yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue th...

Hello Sunshine

  I've had the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron on my bookshelf for a couple of years now. It is a program that is supposed to connect you to your inner creativity. It may sound a little out there, but sometimes I try out there stuff. So after reading the first chapter, I thought, why not? Creative endeavors always feed my soul and as of late, my soul needs some feeding. Part of the program is to take yourself on a weekly artist date. Dating myself to connect to my inner creativity? Younger versions of myself may have laughed at this, but the mom version of myself is excited about the idea of time alone .  In pure defiance of the snow I have seen almost daily for months, for my first artist date, I decided to get a pedicure. I mostly was there for the foot massage, but I figured if I make my toes sandal ready, then surely the weather will take the hint and spring will start making its appearance. (I know, I know, we need the snow, we are in a drought. All the lakes a d...

Things that brought me joy this week

This past week was Melina's birthday!  Since she lives far away, Talena and I put together a hula party in a box and mailed it to her.  We found all of these treasures at the dollar section at the front of Target.  My favorite moment was when we heard a lady gripe about how the discount section was full of a bunch of useless stuff that no one would buy.  At that very moment we turned the corner, with our hand basket full of awesome stuff we had found.  We just smiled. The party supplies The party agenda I was having a bit of a low evening and Danny suggested we go get my latest craving Sonic blasts.   (Ice cream + candy + whipped cream.)  I know you aren't supposed to feed sorrows with food, but this particular evening I made an exception.  Whoever made that Sonic blast was heaven sent.  It had more Reese's peanut butter cups than actual ice cream.  It's like they sensed my heavy heart and tried to heal it with choc...