Skip to main content

My Evening as the Hostess

Last weekend Danny and I had a small house warming party with a few close friends.  I came home from work exhausted, so while I had plans to be the perfect hostess with my hair done, the floors swept and treats on the table, that didn't quite happen. I took a nap instead.  However, 45 minutes before guests arrived, I threw together some refreshments, which I thought turned out really well.  Special thanks to my friend Lisa who got pulled into helping me put refreshments together since I was running behind on time.

This is quite possibly my favorite food creation, doughnut acorns.  I got the idea
off of pinterest.com, which was from a blog and they attributed the idea to Disney
Family Time Magazine.

All the little acorns in a row.

The treat table!  We had a s'more buffet.  Also since our house warming party
was the first day of Autumn, I tried to pick "fally" food.  It turned out quite well.
Danny and I don't have a huge apartment, so we took our party outside into our small backyard.  Our friend Jeff let us borrow his outdoor fireplace.  We had a great evening of chatting, s'more making and guitar playing.

Danny showing how marshmallow roasting is done.

Lisa and Me

More of our party.

The fire

The boys jamming.

The girls chatting.

For some reason my favorite pics from this
evening are the blurry ones.  I think they
are artistic.

More blurry happiness.

Comments

  1. It looks like a nice house warming party. How fun to roast marshmallows! Even though it's autumn, its still in the 90's here, wish we had some of your cooler weather; we'll have to wait to do anything to warm our house any more than it already is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those acorn treats are darling! Glad your housewarming party went well. Can't wait to see pics of your new place! - Becky

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue th...

Hello Sunshine

  I've had the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron on my bookshelf for a couple of years now. It is a program that is supposed to connect you to your inner creativity. It may sound a little out there, but sometimes I try out there stuff. So after reading the first chapter, I thought, why not? Creative endeavors always feed my soul and as of late, my soul needs some feeding. Part of the program is to take yourself on a weekly artist date. Dating myself to connect to my inner creativity? Younger versions of myself may have laughed at this, but the mom version of myself is excited about the idea of time alone .  In pure defiance of the snow I have seen almost daily for months, for my first artist date, I decided to get a pedicure. I mostly was there for the foot massage, but I figured if I make my toes sandal ready, then surely the weather will take the hint and spring will start making its appearance. (I know, I know, we need the snow, we are in a drought. All the lakes a d...

Things that brought me joy this week

This past week was Melina's birthday!  Since she lives far away, Talena and I put together a hula party in a box and mailed it to her.  We found all of these treasures at the dollar section at the front of Target.  My favorite moment was when we heard a lady gripe about how the discount section was full of a bunch of useless stuff that no one would buy.  At that very moment we turned the corner, with our hand basket full of awesome stuff we had found.  We just smiled. The party supplies The party agenda I was having a bit of a low evening and Danny suggested we go get my latest craving Sonic blasts.   (Ice cream + candy + whipped cream.)  I know you aren't supposed to feed sorrows with food, but this particular evening I made an exception.  Whoever made that Sonic blast was heaven sent.  It had more Reese's peanut butter cups than actual ice cream.  It's like they sensed my heavy heart and tried to heal it with choc...