Skip to main content

Happy GH Day!

I have a little sister that likes to abbreviate really random things, hence the title of this post.  Anyway, Happy Groundhog's Day friends! Every year I'm struck by a. how random this holiday is and b. how I really just want to watch that movie to celebrate, which I missed doing today, so may next year.  I'm not even sure if the groundhog saw his shadow or not.  Either way, I'm pretty sure it is still going to be freezing for a couple more months.  But to past the time during these frigid days, here's the history of Groundhog's Day.

Also, my fabulous cousin Heidi Lou (whom I chatted with for over an hour this evening, it was splendid...we had a lot to cover) informed me that Chinese New Year is tomorrow.   So many holidays and so little time.  This year is the year of the rabbit.  What this means?  I'm not sure, but some random website gave me the following prediction for year of the rabbit:

The year of the Rabbit is traditionally associated with home and family, artistic pursuits, diplomacy, and keeping the peace. Therefore, 2011 is very likely to be a relatively calmer one than 2010 both on the world scene, as well as on a personal level.
Conversely, nations will also become more insular and increasingly lock down their borders to protect against the "other". However, 2011 will also see new art movements projecting a distinct national identity taking the world by storm. Shrewd and creative new business partnerships will also form to the benefit of all.

So Egypt isn't exactly following the prediction of it being a calmer year, we shall see.  Maybe with the Chinese New Year, it will give us a chance to start over on all of our resolutions, don't you think?

Comments

  1. I didn't realize that woodchucks were the same as groundhogs. It's a good thing, too, because if I'd known that, and Danny had been born 17 days earlier, I might have named him Chuck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue th...

Things that brought me joy this week

This past week was Melina's birthday!  Since she lives far away, Talena and I put together a hula party in a box and mailed it to her.  We found all of these treasures at the dollar section at the front of Target.  My favorite moment was when we heard a lady gripe about how the discount section was full of a bunch of useless stuff that no one would buy.  At that very moment we turned the corner, with our hand basket full of awesome stuff we had found.  We just smiled. The party supplies The party agenda I was having a bit of a low evening and Danny suggested we go get my latest craving Sonic blasts.   (Ice cream + candy + whipped cream.)  I know you aren't supposed to feed sorrows with food, but this particular evening I made an exception.  Whoever made that Sonic blast was heaven sent.  It had more Reese's peanut butter cups than actual ice cream.  It's like they sensed my heavy heart and tried to heal it with choc...

Hello Sunshine

  I've had the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron on my bookshelf for a couple of years now. It is a program that is supposed to connect you to your inner creativity. It may sound a little out there, but sometimes I try out there stuff. So after reading the first chapter, I thought, why not? Creative endeavors always feed my soul and as of late, my soul needs some feeding. Part of the program is to take yourself on a weekly artist date. Dating myself to connect to my inner creativity? Younger versions of myself may have laughed at this, but the mom version of myself is excited about the idea of time alone .  In pure defiance of the snow I have seen almost daily for months, for my first artist date, I decided to get a pedicure. I mostly was there for the foot massage, but I figured if I make my toes sandal ready, then surely the weather will take the hint and spring will start making its appearance. (I know, I know, we need the snow, we are in a drought. All the lakes a d...